Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On my way to Perth

On my way to Perth

This weekend I will be traveling to Perth in western Australia. I will be there for two weeks. I will be taking my 5D with 24-105. Does anyone know if I can rent a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM in Perth?

Also any must shoot places in Perth or nearby. I will actually be staying in Mandurah.

Mark
    Mark

Re: On my way to Perth

Ah, Perth - I’m so envious! I miss Perth; although I don’t miss the 36 hours (and 4 planes) it took to fly there. I lived there for a few years. Lots of great photo ops (too many to list all I’m sure). Are you going to have access to a vehicle? It will certainly help if you can be very mobile.

I don't know about rentals, but I imagine there's got to be some place that has rental lenses available (not necessary the one you're looking for).

Within Perth, you can’t miss out visiting Kings Park, great view of Perth’s cityscape. In the park there’s also the DNA Tower and Whisper Wall – kind of neat; there’s also a botanical garden in the park if you’re interested in macro photography of some unique Australian flora and fauna. If you’re interested in Architectural photography head down to the esplanade and check out the very controversial Bell Tower (the design and cost were hotly debated when I lived there). Also some great old cathedrals downtown and the Perth (metro) train station (not as impressive as the Melbourne station, but I always liked it). Riding transit in the downtown core was free when I was there. Not too far from the train station (pretty much across the street) is the shopping district of Perth (can’t all be about the photos) – try to find your way to London Court (kind of neat, albeit small, place). Drive north a bit and check out Cottesloe Beach (it’s next to the SAS base, sometimes you’ll see them training – jumping out of black hawk helicopters into the ocean) and a little further north is Scarborough and Trigg Beaches, and the Blue Hole - apparently makes for great fishing, but killer (literally) surfing. Another place to take a drive out to is Mundaring Weir (primary water supply for Kalgoolie – the engineer who designed it made a small error in calculating the amount of time it would take water to flow from the weir to Kalgoolie – he shot himself, the water arrived the next day – or something like that). Close by is John Forrest National Park – great old abandon train tunnel and some really cool water falls (but it really depends upon the season – I forget when it was best). I like the Mundaring range area (reminded me of home a little - hills and forest).

Freemantle is a pretty cool place to visit too. Some unique shopping and some great pubs with outdoor patios. Two old prisons; Round House (I believe it was Dutch from about late 1600’s or 1700’s) and the other prison was the site of the last hanging in Australia (I didn’t bother checking that one). Maritime Museum and a replica of an old sailing ship. Frequently there are Navy ships (from various different countries on shore leave) – I believe there’s a RAN base there with a sub on display. There also used to be a crocodile farm nearby.

Take the boat over to Rottnest Island (Rotto) and play a little game of Quokka Soccer – no! kidding, don’t (very illegal) – best to just take a few shots (with your camera) of the little guys.

Mandurah’s not particularly exciting (IMHO), but you’re not too far from Yalgorup National Park (drive south) – nothing but incredible white sand beaches and the Indian Ocean as far as the eye can see. Drive a little further south to Bunbury (lived there for 6-7 months) – ah? Oddly I can’t really think of anything dying to be photographed there – I’m just being sentimental I guess.

If you’re feeling particularly adventurous for some further out, but awesome sites to see; check out the Tree Top Walk in the Valley of the Giants (I think it’s near Albany) and Wave Rock (talk about the middle of no where).

Well hopefully that gives you some places to start off from - just google the places I mentioned and you should see some photos of what I'm talking about. Well I hope you enjoy your time in Perth.
    <div></div>

I plan on a rental car. I am aware that they drive on the correct side of the road instead of the right. I lived in Japan for three years. After driving on the left it just seemed more natural to me. Had more trouble when I get back to the states.

I found a shop in Perth to rent the lens. $100AU a day. Pretty high. I thought I may need it for wildlife. Otherwise my 24-105 will probably do great.

Looks like you gave me more than I'll have time for but will try my best. I am betting I can get some good sunsets.

Thanks for the great info.

Mark

Mark

I'd imagine you'd be able to rent it from LensRentals here in the states for the amount for time you need and just don't tell them you're going over seas with it. At least that's what I'd do. [H]

What they don't know won't hurt them. [] haha. Just be extra careful with it.

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

I lived in Japan for three years. After driving on the left it just seemed more natural to me. Had more trouble when I get back to the states.

I agree, I picked up to driving on the left side of the road immediately - much more natural. Took me months to readjust when I got back to Canada. When I started dating my wife, shortly after returning home, she thought I was such a gentleman - always opening the door for her - truth, I thought I was hopping into the driver's seat.

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

I thought I may need it for wildlife. Otherwise my 24-105 will probably do great.

Heaps of unique kinds of birds around - black swans,kookaburras,cockatoos, parrots, etc... just hang out in any park in or around Perth in the morning (before 10am) with tall trees (just avoid waring a red hat or shirt of any kind; there are some vicious magpies in many of those trees that will dive at moving red objects). If you're looking for some Kangaroos, try to find a golf course (towards the outskirts of the city) around 4 or 5pm - they'll usually come out to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett-Grimsley

I'd imagine you'd be able to rent it from LensRentals here in the states for the amount for time you need and just don't tell them you're going over seas with it. At least that's what I'd do. [img]/emoticons/emotion-11.gif[/img]

What they don't know won't hurt them. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img] haha. Just be extra careful with it.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I waited too late. I leave saterday. Lot of extra weight to carry on a long flight.
    Mark

Hi Mark,

I live on the other side of Australia in Queensland and have been to WA a few times. First of all try http://www.kayellaustralia.com.au/

and see how they compare with your other prices. I agree with the other posts, Perth is a very pretty little city and us Aussie's love Canadians. Check out the HMAS Ovens, it is a neat little submarine in Fremantle and if you get a chance go to one of the jails for a visit, you won't be dissapointed.

North of Perth you can pretty well give it a miss, didn't float my boat but I just fell in love with the South end, in particular Denmark and Albany south on the bottom end. Lighthouses, rugged coast line, bloody cold water crystal clear , it is truly a beautifull spot you have chosen to go.

Are you planning travelling anywhere else or just Western Australia.

Enjoy your trip mate

Scott

Mark

Let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to see over there and I can do some research for you, I have family in Rockingham.

Just remembered, Garden Island, big arse navy base near Rockingham, lots of big war ships etc.

Scott

Try this mob http://www.praimaging.com.au/
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

<span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]Back from Perth
    This was a great trip. It was a business trip but had two weekends to explore. I ended up not renting any other lenses so everything is with my 24-105. My wife got to tag along as well. Since she never misses a zoo, this was perfect for her. We started with Marrapanna. This is a hands on zoo. Here are some pictures. Thats my wife holding a koala.

<span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0094-_2800_3_2900_.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0018-_2800_5_2900_.JPG[/img]

Next wee traveled down to Cape Naturalist. There we saw migrating whales, our first wild Kangaroos(I got within ~30feet of them), Sugerloaf Rockand a beutiful sunset over the Indian ocean.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0109.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0128.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0050.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0035.JPG[/img]

We also visited the Perth zoo, a wildlife park north of Perth and the aquarium(AQWA). We spent the last day in Fremantle.

If I get to go again you can bet I will get my hands on some longer glass.

Thanks for all the suggestion of places to visit.

Mark
    Mark