Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help deciding whether to buy a new camera body or a good lens??

Re: Need help deciding whether to buy a new camera body or a good lens??

Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo
    will the 70-200 also help me get better pictures when i shoot at high ISO setting such as ISO 800??

No. The only exception is if you compare a 200mm shot vs. a 70mm shot that was cropped to match 200mm. That is the only time it will look better.

If you want better pictures at ISO 800, you need a faster lens (which means thinner depth of field and more difficult to focus) or a camera with improved technology. The Canon 7D is a big improvement.

I suggest you consider the 7D and the 85mm f/1.8. That combination will do just as good as the 5D2 and 70-200 f/2.8, and far better than the XTi.

I'd say go for the 70-200 2.8 IS while you can get the $150 instant rebate. I have the non IS version and love it. It will compliment your 24-70 nicely. I wouldn't wait for an illusive Mark II version. It could be a week or 10 years or more away. Just my opinion though.

Fred~

As a general rule, getting quality glass is always the better decision. Do you find yourself always wishing you had more reach in many of your shots? Do you want to be able to shoot some sports or nature shots from a distance? Then the 70-200 is a good choice for you and will certainly give you more reach.

As others have mentioned, good glass really doesn't depreciate in value as camera bodies do...the question is whether your older camera body is really up to the task of what you want it to do.

Are you finding yourself taking more indoor shots or low light photography? Then a new camera body, paired with some fast lenses might make more sense. The 5D II paired with your 24-70 would be a significant upgrade from your current setup.

As Daniel had brought up, have you considered upgrading your body to the new 7D which has much better ISO performance than your XTi and then take the $1000 that you would save from the 5D II and invest it in something like the 70-200 f4 IS, which would give you the focal range that you may be looking for, a lens as sharp as the 2.8 IS, with a better IS system, and in a smaller package?

If you are intent on upgrading to a FF camera, then the 5D II is a logical choice and a great camera (I personally love mine!) but if your willing to stick with the crop camera format then the 7D with a couple of fast primes or the 70-200 f4 might be worth looking at...

I tend to agree with Wickerprints. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge proponent of the invest in glass and buy bodies philosophy, but other than telling us that you feel restricted by your current body's high ISO performance you really haven't told us what you like to shoot. On top of your desire for noise-free low-light photography, do you feel that your 24-70 f/2.8 does not give you enough reach? If you do, wait until you put it on a 5D!!! 70mm on full-frame is similar to framing with about 44mm on your XTi.

Anyway, some other posts suggested getting some fast prime lenses. I think that's a terrific idea. You could start with the 50 f/1.4 and the 85 f/1.8. These are top performers and could both be purchased for a little over $800.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    I suggest you consider the 7D and the 85mm f/1.8. That combination will do just as good as the 5D2 and 70-200 f/2.8, and far better than the XTi.

This looks like a pretty sweet setup. You could even add the 50 f/1.4 for less than the cost of a 5D Mark II body. The 7D and the 5D are VERY different bodies though. Full-frame is another animal altogether. There are pros and cons for both 35mm and APS-C sensors. Figure out which one better suits your photographic needs and then make your purchase. Frankly, having to choose between the 5D Mark II and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS sounds like one of the best <span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]dilemmasyou could find yourself in :-)

will the 70-200 also help me get better when i shoot at high ISO setting such as ISO 800??

No lens can do this. A lens can work well in low light not by making the camera do better at high ISO, but instead by allowing you to use lower ISO's (or the same ISO in lower light). It does this by either 1) working hand-held at a low shutter speed, either due to a short focal length or IS (though, of course, low shutter speeds require non-moving subjects) or 2) having a small f/ number (allowing you to use a given shutter speed and iso in lower light conditions). IS allows the 70-200 f/2.8 IS will work in a bit lower light (on non-moving subjects) than the lens you have now, despite its longer focal length.

If you really want better performance at a given iso, you need a different camera. The 5DII will have much better performance at iso800 than the rebel, but will also have thinner dof at the same f/ number (which you might or not might not want). As Daniel pointed out, the 7D will do better than the rebel at a given ISO and have the same dof as the rebel.

I like full frame, but I would get the 70-200 before the body (and before prime lenses, as others have suggested). But that is me. It depends on what you want to shoot. For most of us, a new lens will open more doors than a new body. Plus bodies, like computers, improve quickly (and thus go down in value)- much more so than lenses.

I currently use a Canon Xti with a 24-70 f2.8 L lens. I am an enthusiast though I only shoot photos occasionally. I am quite satisfied with my pictures right now.

If you are happy with the results you are getting, why not keep shooting with what you have? A heavy camera bag gets very annoying quickly. [:S]

For all intents and purposes, invest in glass - 'L' glass!
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

well basically i shoot weddings and parties. My feeling of being limited by my camera body's high ISO performance comes when I shoot indoors. I want so much to shoot with available light but at ISO 400 [which by the way is the maximum ISO i use for my XTi. ISO 800 seems to get too grainy for me on this camera body.] and with the low light available speed drops significantly needless to say handheld shots will be blurred or the subject will move and subject will be blurred.

By the way I mostly shoot in AV mode.

As for the 7D, I can't really picture myself settling for another 1.6 crop body. [] I've been living that mistake already coz my real choice when i got my Xti was the 5D. but due to budget constraints settled on the XTi.

If you struggle with the amount of available light, try the 50/1.4 and Noise Ninja software. Noise Ninja is very effective and fairly reasonably priced.