Thread: Dropped my 5D Mark II: Luckily no damage but filter stuck! Help!

Dropped my 5D Mark II: Luckily no damage but filter stuck! Help!

So I accidentally dropped my 5D Mark II on my hardwood floor. Luckily there's no damage to the camera or the lens but my b+w polarize filter is stuck on the lens. I notice a small dent on the side of filter preventing it being screwed off. Is there anyway to get it off or do I need to get a professional to take it off for me? Will one of these lens filter wrenches remove it? http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Filter-Wrench-Review.aspx

Re: Dropped my 5D Mark II: Luckily no damage but filter stuck! Help!

possibly try one of those rubber things you can use to open bottles? give you a bit more grip.
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Quote Originally Posted by iso79

Will one of these lens filter wrenches remove it? http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Filter-Wrench-Review.aspx
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

hey there, i have almost the same problem as you - a dented filter ring! i tried buying a filter wrench to remove it but they are too flimsy and weak to remove the filter, and nothing else seems to work. i think i'll have to send my lens off to canon at some point to remove it, which is a pain!

Once a filter is dented, it is toast. You will never be able to reliably screw it on to another lens. You could try hammering it back into round, but why take the risk of getting it stuck on a much more expensive lens?

The first step is to apply friction. Place a rubber pad on a flat surface and press the lens, filter side down, onto the pad and twist. Make sure you determine the correct twisting direction beforehand. If this doesn't work, a filter wrench epoxied to the filter ring may work.

The next step is to try thermal methods. Freeze the lens+filter. If the coefficient of thermal expansion of the lens is smaller than the filter, then the filter will become loose.

If none of this works, a Dremel will cut through the filter ring and pliers will allow you to pop it out. But this requires a steady hand and careful work.

If it is really stuck, take it to a local repair shop. It's possible that you can damage the lens further, if the filter has somehow "jumped" the threads. Unscrewing the filter will only strip the threads on the lens.

I'm sending it to Canon today. Will they charge me a premium to remove it? The lens is still under warranty.

From what I've read, Canon's service deptartment quotes are fairly reasonable.

You could try a dremel tool cutting blade to weaken the filter. Though you would have to be very confident and experienced with it so as not to damage the lense. Personaly I am 50/50 with that and sending it to canon. Depends how much the lense is worth and how much they would charge.

i bought a set of those filter wrenches you were inquiring about. At first I was hesitant in its effectiveness but once I tried it; boy was it a breeze to take off my stuck filter.