Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 17-55mm vs 24-70mm

Re: Canon 17-55mm vs 24-70mm

Kathy,

I shoot professionally and once I sold my 5D and decided to go with a crop body (40D) I bought the 17-55 F2.8IS. It's a great all-purpose, leave-on-the-camera lens. While it's as fast as the 24-70L, it has IS so it can be hand-held at slower shutter speeds. It is sharp as a tack. It is a bit heavy and it's every bit as well-made as the 24-70L. When I shoot events, I need the wide end and I also need the 55 end for portraits. It is just a tremendously versatile lens. Also, it holds it's value in terms of resale. If you decide to go with an APS-H or Full Frame body in the future, you'll be able to sell this lens for virtually what you paid for it.

I've owned and shot the 24-70 F2.8L and the 24-105 F4L IS and both are very nice lenses but neither is sharper nor more versatile than the 17-55 F2.8IS, in my opinion.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by fyrcat

I am a volunteer firefighter, so I need a lense on my camera for a quick shot when we first arrive to something exciting, that can capture just about anything in various lighting conditions.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I've done plenty of fire scene photography. You really want the L on your camera for those conditions. When someone forgets to put the correct spin on a 5" LDH and a hose starts snaking around, you'll be glad it's the 24-70 on your camera. Reminds me of the many times that I'd go to training and put on my helmet/gloves/pants/boots every time. Folks would ask why, and I'd respond "for safety". Within five minutes, they'd see why, and then go do the same thing.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

helmet = fully sealed L lens

gloves = fully sealed camera body

pants = quality lens filter

boots = everytime

Safety as an analogy to cameras is a system, with no a single line defense. Forget any one, and you'll still be at significant risk. Sorry, I couldn't think of anything better for boots... [:P]

I'm saving for thef2.8 70-200 for fast/low lightaction shots...the crop bodies are catching up andappear to be digging in deep...I love my 17-55mm. []

I had a point and shoot fuji digital before the Rebel xsi, and it worked great for a quick down and dirty pic,especially when first arriving on a fire. I am an engineer, and many times I got yelled at to get to work as I snapped a couple of pictures...but when we were thru, all those snappy mouths came to me for copies of my pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrcat
    all those snappy mouths came to me for copies of my pictures.

Sotrue. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2slo

gloves = fully sealed camera body

Cathy, just be aware that the XSi is not a weather-sealed body. Of course, a Ziploc bag with a couple of rubber bands will provide substantial protection.

Every firefighter knows there's no such thing as weather-sealed &lt;anything&gt;, and also can tell if something will survive the fireground with one glance. A Motorola indicator is usually a good start, but only if it was made for the fire service.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.