Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Jacksonville Sea and Sky Spectacular

2009 Jacksonville Sea and Sky Spectacular

Hello all...

Just wanted to share a few photos from our local air show.

These were captured with a 5D MkII and a 300mm ƒ/2.8

- The jets were shot with aperture priority mode with the aperture set a 2.8
    - The prop planes were shot with shutter priority mode with the shutter set a 1/320

Oh and these were all shot handheld..

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.99.2009+Jax+Sea+Sky+Spectacular/_5F00_MG_5F00_9103.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.99.2009+Jax+Sea+Sky+Spectacular/_5F00_MG_5F00_9141.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.99.2009+Jax+Sea+Sky+Spectacular/_5F00_MG_5F00_9511.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.99.2009+Jax+Sea+Sky+Spectacular/_5F00_MG_5F00_9550.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.99.2009+Jax+Sea+Sky+Spectacular/_5F00_MG_5F00_8157.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.99.2009+Jax+Sea+Sky+Spectacular/_5F00_MG_5F00_8855.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.99.2009+Jax+Sea+Sky+Spectacular/_5F00_MG_5F00_8984.jpg[/img]

Re: 2009 Jacksonville Sea and Sky Spectacular

You've got some great stuff there! Love the props on the first one.

Thanks!

The prop trails are pretty cool. I didn't see those until after I downloaded the photos to the computer. It was a nice surprise! I just wish I hadn't cut off part of that wing.

I've got a few more photos that I uploaded to a public gallery on my site.

I was there too! I'm uploading some pics to flickr I'll post em tommorrow. I was only shooting with my little rebel and EF70-200 though.

Great shots! I've never been to an airshow but it look's cool!

If I can, one suggestion: some motion blur on the rotors of the helicopter would look great.

But great shots none the less!

-Rodger

All excellent shots! Looks like you had great weather and an excellent shooting location to take advantage of the lighting.

Here are a couple of mine, I was using the EF 70-200 f/4 non-is which made it incredibly difficult to get the prop blur. Most of them were just blur. They should be clickable to the full res version. Haven't had time to do any post so these are straight out of the camera and converted to jpeg.

Thanks for the kind words everyone

@ Rodger: You deffinantly need to check out an air show at least once! I go to everyone that comes into town. I agree on the need for more blur on the rotors.

@ EdN: The weather couldn't have been better. I think it was like 73 and there was a nice breeze coming off the ocean. Unfortunately I didn't have the "best" location. I was at "center point" and directly in front of me was a large tent and palm trees. Because of this I couldn't get any good shots of the Blue Angels intersecting. Next year I think I'll just setup on the beach.

@mkllgour: Those shots turned out GREAT! There's nothing wrong with a Rebel, I started with a Rebel XT, in fact I had it with me as a backup. The Rebel had a 70-300 IS and it takes amazing photos as well. I'm glad you were able to see the Coast Guard diver jump out. We were on the north side of the pier and couldn't see any of that from our location.

Thanks Jamie, were you using a polarizer on your shots? The sky seemed to come out a little bland in mine, though I'm sure a little pp would help. I say up behind the beach one day just to the right of the pier on Saturday and on the beach about 50 feet from the pier on the south side Sunday. It was definitely easier to shoot from the beach though now I'm trying to get all the sand out of my gear

No filters this time. The only processing I did was a little cropping.

I know what you mean, that sand can be a real pain sometimes.