Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 580EX II or 430EX

Canon 580EX II or 430EX

I need to buy my first speedlite. I don't know if the 580 is worth the extra 150 bucks or will the 430 do just fine?

Re: Canon 580EX II or 430EX

flash tends to hold up pretty well to usage irecommend580EX II as it has more expandability(more control and PC port) and u can probably keep it for 10-20 years and it'll still "flash".

I bought the 580EX II, although I had to stretch dollars to get it verses the 430EX . If you have slower lenses, the 580's extra power is invaluable.

I haven't used the 430, but I just got my 580 II last week and I love it. The 580 is alot more powerful (helpful for the f/4L lenses + very highceilings I'm often in), but I don't know if you will need the extra power or not. Only the 580 has master, strobe, etc, though you probably don't need those anyway. My onlycomplaintwith the 580 so far (besides the price), is that it is a little large and heavy. I don't mind it though, and it should be balanced better on your 50D than my XTi.

Just so you know, Adorama currently has lower prices than B&Hon all the speedlites. FYI I got the kit that comes with NiMh batteries/charger and a diffuser for +$15, and it seems to work fine.

amazon has the cheapest price, I checked yesterday.+ free shipping. nvm now they are the same =)

The 580 is, in my opinion, well worth the price difference. I own three 580EX II and my girlfriend owns one 580 EX II. We rented three 430EX for a holiday photo shoot. Although the 430s came in handy (two 580s as on-camera triggers, 580 as A remote, 430 as B remote, 2x430 as C remotes; one 580 on loan), I didn't mind seeing them go back.

Key features:

580EX (both versions) has more power; a guide number of 58m at ISO 100 and f/1.0 versus a GN of 43m.

580EX II is near-silent when recharging (reportedly so is the 430EX II, not sure which variant you're shopping). My 580s do "sing" a bit when recharging from a full-power flash if they're also connected to the CP-E4 battery pack and drawing from all 12 batteries.

580EX (both versions) can use external battery pack, a real benefit whenever you're shooting "real life stuff" and a lifesaver against dead batteries.

580EX (both versions, AFAIK) can swivel a total of 360 degrees (180 left, 180 right) while the 430s can only swivel 270 degrees (180 left, 90 right). At first, I didn't care much about this, until I learned more about bounce flash: many guides suggest that you aim the flash straight up. If you are shooting a subject lower than your eye level, you CANNOT aim the 430 straight up!

580EX (at least the new version) can be triggered via PC cable, saving cost if you do any wired remote shooting.

580EX II is weather-sealed. Given the very high voltages inside a flash, it's very reassuring to know that you're fairly well protected if you ever get caught in the rain.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Thank you peety3 your post topped it off. I will definitlygo with the 580.

I too was torn between the 430 and 580. These posts have convinced me to spring for the extra dollars. Thanks.

Larry

Glad to help! With four 580IIs in the bag, I'm obviously a happy owner. I can see myself picking up some 430s soon as background flashes, especially since the 430IIs supposedly don't "sing" while recharging, but I'm torn: the 580s work very well, and the ST-E2 trigger has drawbacks (won't trigger a C group, only A/B, and uses an obscure battery instead of common AAs). I got a battery pack for Christmas, and absolutely LOVE it even though it's awkward to hang/hide somewhere. With three DSLR bodies, I'd want ("need") a 580 as trigger on each, and I think I'd want 580s as A and B remotes (so I could use battery packs on them).

Also, you can hit situations where even the 580 might not be enough power - I hit one last week. I was shooting http://photos.templin.org/gallery/hotchoc09/HotChoc0001, which was shot on a tripod from barely more than the minimum focus distance of my 24-105 on my 1D Mark III. The A flash was on a stand, firing through a shoot-through umbrella no more than 4' above the scene, albeit with a Rosco 359 gel AND a Rosco 103 gel in front which I think only passes about 9% of light. At ISO 2000 and f/8, I couldn't get the green flash-confirmation light to light. I ended up putting a second 580 with the same gel combo on a stand just next to the first one, also as an A flash, firing through the same umbrella, and that got me a green light every time. Before I added the second flash, the first 580 would sing every time when recharging off the 12 AA batteries. (Our last 580 was on a stand shooting from right to left across the scene with a CTO (i.e. an incandescent look) filter, creating the shadows you see.) I "borrowed" the double flash idea from Denis Reggie's custom flash bracket, mounting two 580s with battery packs like this: http://www.denisreggie.net/gear.html
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

A few years ago just after I got my Digital Rebel, I bought the 420 EX flash. It was a nice flash with swivel and bounce but it really didn't have the power for slower lenses. A few years later, I got a deal on a 580 EX flash. Lots of power, built in diffusers, ability to be used as a master flash to slave the 420 EX. It's great having 2 flashes now for flexibility.

So for what it's worth, if you don't have the spare cash, go for the 430 EX II. Then down the road when you can afford it, go for a 580 EX II for the expandability and extra features. Either way, you won't lose. Just an a different opportunity for future expansion.