Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1D mk III Af problems : where are we now ?

Re: 1D mk III Af problems : where are we now ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Doane

I'm not aware of any camera with 100% focus hit rate.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Fair enough, but the shot wasn't asking a lot of the camera. I'll go back to P&amp;S now.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Scheiner

Hello, may I say a few words about myself. - please see my bio and my profile.

I am a "german satellite" to the community and a member only since Nov 4 th.

Until now I exclusely used a Nikon gear, because I was very dissapointed about the speed and the autofocus of the D 300. I changed to Canon and I bought a 1D Mark IV which will be hopefully available in December. AdditionallyI bought a 5D Mark II today. The reason: Excactly for the same usage like Julius.

I don&acute;t have any experience yet because I didn&acute;t use the 5 D Mark II yet. At the time I read a lot about the two cameras and digital processing and storage. I wiil come back to this matter in a few days when I know more. My major question beside others will be: Jpeg or RAW.

I say thank you in advance for your answers. If my lingual mistakes are too bad, please correct me. Thank you.

Roland Scheiner
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Mein Freundin ist Deutsche und ich kann etwas sprechen - wenn ich etwas f&uuml;r dich &uuml;bersetzen oder erklaren kann dann frag einfach .

OKAY THEN I ask: How can I can up load pictures which I took to this forum. It &acute;s will an undisovered secret. My request in german:

Wie kann ich Photos hier hochladen. Die Maximalgr&ouml;&szlig;e kenne ich, aber wie man das macht, habe ich leider nicht herausfinden k&ouml;nnen.

F&uuml;r Eure Hilfe und genaue Beschreibung, wie man das macht, w&auml;re ich Euch sehr dankbar.

Roland

When you post or reply, there's a row of buttons at the top of the composition window. One of these looks like a filmstrip, and is the "insert media" button. That's where/how you insert a file.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Hi Roland,

Welcome to the forums (and the land of Canon).

Just make sure to resize your image to 800 pixels wide before uploading. Otherwise we won't see the entire image.

Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Hi Peety3,

Question regarding about your comments on your shooting example "blacktop is sharper just behind the two riders", maybe its nothing to do with 1D MK III AF issue...... could it be possible miss foucs by yourself?

Because lots people discussed 1D MK III miss focus even with hardware/software upgrades...... but I never see some kind of sample photos or trials etc.....

I really hope if anyone could show some examples or trials etc... Coz currently own 1D MK III and I didn't found any issue with AF...

I have used a Mark III in low light/high movement environments and never experienced focusing issues which were not the fault of the operator; me! I enjoy the 1.3 crop and the dynamic color range of the camera. I have only used a rental 5DMII to see its capabilities. Remarkable color and resolution, but it lacked features I need in my work. It all depends on what you want to use your camera to capture and every piece of equipment has trade offs.

I currently use both the 1D Mark IV and 1D Mark III. Buy what you feel will best meet your needs for the primary subject matter and environments in which you capture imagery. Your skills will be the most telling part of any image. Best of luck in your choice.

Some example shots from 2010 Australian Open last week, all used 1D Mark III handheld

1D Mark III + 300mm f2.8 IS USM with ISO100, f2.8, 1/1000

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.31.00/8K3W97691.JPG[/img]

1D Mark III + 300mm f2.8 IS USM with ISO100, f2.8, 1/800

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.31.00/8K3W97821.JPG[/img]

1D Mark III + 300mm f2.8 IS USM with ISO100, f4.0, 1/1600

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.31.00/8K3W97131.JPG[/img]

1D Mark III + 300mm f2.8 IS USM with ISO100, f2.8, 1/2000

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.31.00/8K3W01691.JPG[/img]

Some friends in AUS Open :P

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.31.00/8K3W0088.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.85/comp_5F00_Roland_5F00_Scheiner_5F00_3.jpg[/img]

This is one of my first pictures taken with my new 5DMarkII. It shows a tiny lake half frozen in my home town Marktheidenfeld, Bavaria Germany. This picture was not digitally processed, it shows what the camera captured through the lens.

ISO 400; 500, f11,