Thread: Salzburg, Austria. Help me pack/scout for the trip.

Salzburg, Austria. Help me pack/scout for the trip.

<p class="justify"]I am traveling for 3 weeks in Salzburg, Austria. It is for business but I will have weekends and evenings free. First trip with my camera gear. I have that cheap Canon backpack to hold stuff.
    <p class="justify"]I would love to know where to go to best spend my time. I am interested in street and landscape photography and would consider myself an beginning/intermediate armature. I shoot slow. :-) I may not have a car.
    <p class="justify"]Also, I have budgeted for new equipment(&lt;$1000). Given my current inventory, what would you buy? Keep in mind, I have a 450d but would LOVE to upgrade to a full frame once I save up enough money (maybe 1-2 years). Also, I *DO NOT* own a off-camera flash but I *do* own a light weight tripod, not sure if I can take it or not.
    450d kit lens (18-55)
    used 100mm macro f2.8
    used 50mm f1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    70-200 f/4 (Yeah!)
    couple polarizers.

<p class="justify"]Should I get a new lens? New filters? Flash? The trip would be in 1-2 months, so not sure how the shorter days would affect your decision.
    Thanks for your time and interest everyone.
    Greg.
    Seattle, WA.

Re: Salzburg, Austria. Help me pack/scout for the trip.

Maybe a good wide angle lens like the 17-40 L or the 10-22?

I was looking at the 17-40. Seems like a great value for an L. Perfect for tripod stuff. For walking around I was thinking about IS or something faster, but man, that really shoots up in money pretty quick.

Thanks for the feedback. I am sure no matter what I take it is going to be beautiful over there. If you remember "The Sound of Music", it was filmed there. I wish I was a better photographer, I really hate to waste such great backdrops and scenery.

Thanks again for the time,

Greg.

That does sound like abeautifularea, wish I could go []. I have the 17-40, and its really nice, though I haven't used it too much yet as I've only had it for less than a month. The 17-400 ishandholdableat pretty slow shutter speeds at wide angle, so it should beadequateas long as its not extremelydark. You could always get a flash too, though that won't help for most of what you're going to be shooting. There is the 20mm f/2.8 which is faster and only $435, but from what I've read its pretty bad.

I would just get the 17-40 and live with a stop higher ISO . Good luck/have fun!

I have a 40D and both the EF-S 10-22mm and the 17-40mm L.

If could only take one of those to Austria it would be the 10-22mm. Even boring landscapes can look good at 10mm, Austrian mountains should look amazing!

<div>

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Looks like the trip will be the beginning of Feb.

I hope the weather is OK then. I am leaning towards the 17-40L, seems like a great value.

I hate to put money into EF-S glass (when in the real world I may never upgrade to

FF body, new hobbies have the greatest plans!).

--greg.

</div>

We spent a week in Austria last year - and had a day trip to Salzburg.

Thereis lots to see (Or there is in the summer!) by walking around - the some of the buildings have painting on them which are quite stunning - unfortunately they had a load of seating in some of the squares for the annual music festival so they weren't photogenic this year.

Another place is the Cathedral - which is lovely inside.

5D, 17-40 @ 17mm 1/10" f5 ISO800. Hand held! Might even be a bit of HDR - Can't remember now!