Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Canon announce any new lenses?

Re: Will Canon announce any new lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Check lensrentals.com - this lens has "made their list" of problematic lenses. Not too bad, but definitely some issues.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Well it depends. The list could be "biased" - what I really mean by that is, if this lens is rented say 100 times a month, while the other lenses only say 40 times per month, there is obviously more chance to find a problem in this lens (the 17-55). Also, since so many people are using this lens, the chances are even higher - you don't know what the lens is going through while people are using it.

I guess Roger Cicala could shade some more light on this issue and help us understand it a bit better.

Oren, not to make this thread into a discussion about the 17-55 lens, but I rented a copy of this lens through lensprotogo.com and also had a problem with it. The lens stopped working for me on several occasions while I was shooting a wedding and needless to say I was not a happy camper. After calling lenspro after the event, I was informed that they had been having issues with the 17-55. I didn't get into any further to find out what all those "issues" were but I was given a credit for the lens.

Now you may be right in that rental copies of this lens may be more problematic since so many people are usingthem but after my own experience, I would be a little leery about actually purchasing a copy myself. The pictures that I managed to get while it was working were nice though.[]

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all for the recommendations and help.

I weighed all my options and wallet and decided to get the 18-200mm. I purchased it from B&amp;H so if I don't like it, it can be easily returned.

If this lens does not perform well, I think I will get my 2nd choice...the 70-300mm. The ONLY reason I did not get this was because I did not want to change lenses all the time. Our little girl is a fireball and walks/runs everywhere and never stops and I did not want to take the chance of missinga shot while I swap lenses.

I'll post some photos when I take some with the new lens.

Thanks!

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Well it depends. The list could be "biased" - what I really mean by that is, if this lens is rented say 100 times a month, while the other lenses only say 40 times per month, there is obviously more chance to find a problem in this lens (the 17-55). Also, since so many people are using this lens, the chances are even higher - you don't know what the lens is going through while people are using it.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

READ their site: "The 17-55 f2.8 IS lens has a problem rate of 1.5% of rentals..." - that should normalize the results fairly well. Considering they've currently got 32 copies of it, they could therefore book perhaps 30-60 rentals in a month, or 360-720 rentals in a year. For 5-10 of those rentals to have a problem, that's a bummer.

Anyhow, I do hope the original poster enjoys their 18-200 purchase!
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.