Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

Re: Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

A much anticipated review for me. Although reviewed on the new 7D I would have liked to see how it preformed on some of the more economical and general consumer Cameras like the rebel line (XSi, T1i, etc) which seems to be the target audience of this lens. Although the 7D has become the new de facto standard for the APS-C sized sensors cameras.

I do like the the Lens Review Comparisons... I personnel tend to shot with a lot of natural light and low light which makes me wish this lens was f/2.8. The biggest comparison in my mind is the 17-55 lens. The review does a nice balance of the two as each has their respective advantages which make the choice between the two that much harder. The one thing is the price of the 17-55 has been pretty constant and I can only hope the 15-85 will drop in price by time the summer 2010 roles around. If the price for the 15-85 was around $499 I would see it as the clear winner because of the price.

Thanks for the review, I enjoyed reading it and re-reading it.

Re: Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

Oren - I have been using mostly the EF-S 17-55 and EF-S 15-85 on the APS-C bodies when I need general purpose focal length ranges. Neither has the build quality or full frame compatibility of the 24-70 and 24-105 L lenses, but both have the image quality I'm looking for (at least as good) along with an often-better-for-APS-C focal length range.

I would love to see the 24-70 f/2.8 L offered with IS - that is an obviousfeature advantage held by the the 17-55. Being full frame lenses, the L's will show less vignetting at wide open apertures than the EF-S lenses when mounted on APS-C bodies.