Thread: Speedlite 430ex

Speedlite 430ex

Guys, I've been going NUTS trying to figure out how to set my 430ex to fire OFFF the camera hotshoe. Meaning with the Integrated camera flash.

First question.. is this possible?

if it is. What settings should i use, either i dont know how to read or the manual doesn't say it.

Re: Speedlite 430ex

What camera are you using? The only camera that can fire the 430EX with the on-camera integrated flash is the 7D.

As I understand it, to operate the 430EX off the camera - and I presume you mean without a hotshoe extension cord - you need a controller unit such as the Canon ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter or a Canon Speedlite 580EX or, now, an EOS 7D.

If there's another way, I don't know it! []

ok, so basically the 430ex CANT operate like a strobe unit? with just the camera's flash?

Well im using a T1i, and britek strobes, they fire good, but the flash is Imposible.!

You can get a optical slave unit for the flash...that might help (but you wouldn't have ETTL functionality).

i was thinking more of not adding anything.. just having it work like the studio strobes.

No Canon flash can be light-triggered by an onboard flash (without additional 3rd party hardware). You can use an off-camera shoe cord (e.g. Canon OC-E3) for a wired off-camera flash. For wireless, the 430EX and 430EX II can only operate as slave units in a multiflash system. That means you need a master to trigger the flash - that could be a 580EX, an ST-E2 transmitter, or one of the macro flashes (MR-14EX, MT-24EX). Alternatively, you need a different triggering system (e.g. PocketWizard).

are there any external flashes out there that can do this ?? without a remote trigering system? even if they aren't canon

Quote Originally Posted by trosky

are there any external flashes out there that can do this ?? without a remote trigering system? even if they aren't canon
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

problem is in the body, not the flash...

some Nikkon models can trigger flash witch is off the body.