Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nothing to Buy from Canon... Help!

Nothing to Buy from Canon... Help!

For over a year I feel there's nothing from Canon that really fits my need perfectly. The following list explains my situation.
    • I want a 35mm f1.4 lens for low light shots and creative portrait. But the current 35/1.4L is due an update and its optical quality is not shiny comparing to the new 24L II.
    • I need a 50mm f1.4 standard prime. But the Canon 50/1.4 is not good enough, the 50/1.2L is over priced and not good enough, and the Sigma does not focus very well (seriously, I have given the Sigma a try, that shows how much i want a 50mm prime, but the focus let it down)
    • I need a 85mm prime which is faster than the 85/1.8, focuses as fast as the 85/1.8 and offers weather sealing and internal focusing. The current 85/1.2L II just won't do it all.
    • I need a fast FF camera which offer very low noise and very accurate/fast AF (digital equivalent to the 1V-HS both in speed and format), simply something similar to the Nikon D3s, but Canon made the 1D IV 1.3x...

See, if Canon perfects any of the above products (or I should say to make them the way I'd like them to be[]), I will have no resistance to buy one right away.

I don't know if anyone shares the same feel, maybe I'm just way too picky. Tell me what you think.

Re: Nothing to Buy from Canon... Help!

Way too picky Benjamin.

I would love to upgrade my 24 f/1.4L to the mark II

The sigma 50mm macro has terrible autofocus in low light

I am very happy with my Canon 5D2. The high iso features are lovely

I can honestly say the only camera-related purchase I ever regretted making got returned...everything else, no matter how less-than-perfect, I've used and enjoyed (although, some more than others).

Way too picky. Write to Canon and tell them what you want, then buy whatever works for you from their current product line.

Oh, and I'd expect a 1Ds Mark IV soon. Other than the price tag, I suspect it'll fit your wish for a fast FF camera with low noise and accurate/fast AF.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by hugeknot

I would love to upgrade my 24 f/1.4L to the mark II
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The 24/1.4L II is a nice lens, if I need 24mm prime I will have no problem buying one. but since what I need is 35mm prime, i'll wait for Canon to upgrade their 35/1.4L.

I am very happy with my Canon 5D2. The high iso features are lovely

I totally love the image quality of the 5D II, it's simply an amazing camera IQ wise. However, almost the only thing that stops me from owning a 5D II is it's AF system. 9 points concentrated in the very center of the frame. if I want to focus on something that is more close to the edges than the center, i will always need to focus-recompose. This works for landscape taken at small apertures but does not work most of the time when i'm trying to take a portrait shot at a very large aperture, given that the DOF for FF cameras for that setup is razor thin. I find high resolution FF cameras need a high quality AF system to take the advantage of its IQ. Even slight off focus will through the advantage of FF and its high rez away... (Just what I found to be the case, no offense)

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Oh, and I'd expect a 1Ds Mark IV soon.

I'm positive on the 1Ds IV - that could be the camera that I buy regardless cost and use for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I can honestly say the only camera-related purchase I ever regretted making got returned...everything else, no matter how less-than-perfect, I've used and enjoyed (although, some more than others).

Point taken.

I love what I have in hand. Just wish Canon can fulfill my wish list some time in the future..

I can easily settle for slightly less than perfect if it means staying out of debt. My plan for the new year is to save for the 24mm f1.4L markII it will mean selling my other lenses as well, things are especially tight here in Iceland.

As for the focusing system on the 5D2, I hadn't really given it much thought, I seldom use auto-focus. But I have heard that the 5D2 is not ideal for sports or wildlife.

Ok, the 24mm mark II would be lovely, but would it be as nice as the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2,8G ED? The ultimate landscaper's lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    I want a 35mm f1.4 lens for low light shots and creative portrait. But the current 35/1.4L is due an update and its optical quality is not shiny comparing to the new 24L II.

Look at this link, I can't hardly tell a differance. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?CameraComp=0&amp;FLIComp=0&amp;APIComp= 0&amp;Lens=121&amp;Camera=453&amp;Sample=0&amp;FLI =0&amp;API=0&amp;LensComp=480

I need a 50mm f1.4 standard prime. But the Canon 50/1.4 is not good enough, the 50/1.2L is over priced and not good enough, and the Sigma does not focus very well (seriously, I have given the Sigma a try, that shows how much i want a 50mm prime, but the focus let it down)

What is not good enough about the Canon's 50 primes? Focus speed?

I need a 85mm prime which is faster than the 85/1.8, focuses as fast as the 85/1.8 and offers weather sealing and internal focusing. The current 85/1.2L II just won't do it all.

Have you tried the 85mm f/1.2 II? It may nothave the greatest AF but it isstill quite usable.

I need a fast FF camera which offer very low noise and very accurate/fast AF (digital equivalent to the 1V-HS both in speed and format), simply something similar to the Nikon D3s, but Canon made the 1D IV 1.3x...

I think the 1ds IV would be your answer.

John.

Ok, the 24mm mark II would be lovely, but would it be as nice as the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2,8G ED? The ultimate landscaper's lens.

I find the Canon's approach to landscape works well too - the 14/2.8L II + 16-35/2.8L II. Just a little expensive... The best thing about the 16-35L is that you can filter it. It's not as wide as the Nikon 14-24 but it gives more practical use on the long end. I can just have a 16-35L hanging on my 1V-HS or 50D all day, it's proven to be a nice walk around lens. In comparison, the Nikon would be too dedicated to wide angle, can't really be the only lens to walk around with.

I found the advantage of the Canon 14mm prime is the lack of distortion, while the Nikon zoom is full of it at 14mm. But for everything else, the Nikon wins with ease... (Can't believe the Canon still has 6-blade aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

Look at this link, I can't hardly tell a differance. [url="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?CameraComp=0&amp;FLIComp=0&amp;APIComp= 0&amp;Lens=121&amp;Camera=453&amp;Sample=0&amp;FLI =0&amp;API=0&amp;LensComp=480]http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?CameraComp=0&amp;FLIComp=0&amp;APIComp= 0&amp;Lens=121&amp;Camera=453&amp;Sample=0&amp;FLI =0&amp;API=0&amp;LensComp=480[/url]

That's true. But I would suggest that the new 24/1.4L II lens will offer better contrast and is less sensitive to CA wide open. I would like to see a prime to offer very good performance wide open, just like the concept presented by the Sigma 50/1.4, otherwise a f2.8 zoom will do it all for me. Weather sealing is very important to me too.

What is not good enough about the Canon's 50 primes? Focus speed?

The focusing speed is surely its weakness. But more importantly, I'd like to see better performance wide open - because that is really how I use my primes most of the time. The physical structure won't satisfy me much either, even comparing to the Sigma.

Have you tried the 85mm f/1.2 II? It may nothave the greatest AF but it isstill quite usable.

I did. I don't like its focus-by-wire design, and the lens extends upon focus. I'm sure this lens is perfect for wedding and still photography in low light. As Bryan pointed out, a lens this fast will be used for indoor sports and actions which I do shoot. In this regard I seriously doubt the AF will work very well - given that at f1.2 the DOF is extremely thin. Again, weather sealing is very important.

I'll wait and see, but thanks for the input!