Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L - are these sharp?

Re: Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L - are these sharp?

Jordan: I guess I didn't express clearly in my poor English. when I say "the lens" I mean the lens Oren was considering to buy, because Oren's two test shots don't seem very sharp to me, and I know nate's very nice bird pictures were mostly shot with his 400mm/5.6 before he got his 500mm/4.0, I enjoyed all his post, that's why I said I'm his big fan.

oh ok I, don't think it was you're english (which is very good), but more me assuming I read things that I didn't haha
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Well I agree with part of what you said JJphoto and that's why I want to hear what Nate has to say about it. In the meanwhile what I can say to you is: don't forget that Nate's pictures are not 100% crops of course + he is much more experienced with this lens and birds photography than me + I *believe* that most of his pictures are ISO 400 or below as he suggested and not 800 or 1600 as the 100% crops above + his hands are probably more steady than mine as well [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

Well I agree with part of what you said JJphoto and that's why I want to hear what Nate has to say about it. In the meanwhile what I can say to you is: don't forget that Nate's pictures are not 100% crops of course + he is much more experienced with this lens and birds photography than me + I *believe* that most of his pictures are ISO 400 or below as he suggested and not 800 or 1600 as the 100% crops above + his hands are probably more steady than mine as well [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

way to sell yourself short oren [:P]
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Quote Originally Posted by twistedphrame
    way to sell yourself short oren [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

I agree with that and thank you guys for the explanation.

For a 100% crop, the first picture is definitely sharp, at least some objects are. The roof edge/gutter, whatever that is, is very detailed. The contrast sucks in both, which will make things look less sharp, and the second picture is so backlit that there's not enough light to really give you much to judge.

I think pictures of things in direct sunlight (plenty of contrast, and higher shutter speed) would provide a better example.