Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FA/FS: -As New- Canon EF 70-200mm f4 L IS USM and Speedlite 270EX

Re: FA/FS: -As New- Canon EF 70-200mm f4 L IS USM and Speedlite 270EX

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Pricing on used gear is a funny thing. Sometimes, the weirdness extends to refurbished items as well. Which would you prefer - something that was defective and repaired, or something brand new?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    If it's from a reputable dealer like Adorama I think I'd almost always prefer refurbished since I know that it's been inspected by a technician and meets factory specifications.

Oren,

I gave some thought to your suggestion over the weekend. At this point, I want to maintain the "no price policing" policy here, but - I also understand and appreciate where you and your good heart are coming from.

I know it is not the same response as you desire, but I added a couple of short paragraphs under this policy in the USE OF THIS FORUM post emphasizing the need for the buyer to research the price that is fair to him and his locale. Hopefully this helps. And remember, items priced too high will not sell.

With regards,

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

If it's from a reputable dealer like Adorama I think I'd almost always prefer refurbished since I know that it's been inspected by a technician and meets factory specifications.

The $1700 price for a new copy of the lens on Amazonisfrom Adorama (and a couple of other vendors also at that price, with free shipping, too). So, for the same costfrom the same reputable vendor, would you choose new or refurbished?

Ok Bryan - I respect that.

Just out of curiosity, what's the reason behind this policy?

The $1700 price for a new copy of the lens on Amazonisfrom Adorama (and a couple of other vendors also at that price, with free shipping, too). So, for the same costfrom the same reputable vendor, would you choose new or refurbished?

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

refurbished

refurbished

Ok - thanks for the tip! I would likely go for the brand new one, on the theory that something that broke once is more likely to break again. But, it makes perfect sense that refurbs have actually been performance tested, instead of just rolling off the line and subject to the usual failure rate.

refurbished

Ok - thanks for the tip! I would likely go for the brand new one, on the theory that something that broke once is more likely to break again. But, it makes perfect sense that refurbs have actually been performance tested, instead of just rolling off the line and subject to the usual failure rate.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

At the same price, I would buy new.

Just an observation:

It may not be "price policing" if a member were to DM/PM/start a "conversation" with the seller asking about the price. I think (but do not know for sure) that public "price policing" may have the ability to turn the community against the seller. Obviously that is a bit radical of an example as I doubt anyone here will be taking up their torches and pitchforks over a price on used gear, but in my perspective, the "price policing" rule just keeps the seller safe from public scrutiny. To get cheesy, "Critique images, not prices" (unless the prices are from Canon and it's after they raise them by 10% grrrr).

Just my point of view. haha Bryan may (and probably does) have other reasons for the rule!

-Rodger