Thread: Advice on future lens collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Advice on future lens collection

I just got my Ef-S 10-22 just this month and it works like charm. Perfect when there's not enough room to move to take pics of groups in a party.

I have to suggest on getting the Ef 70-200 f2.8. Less lens change = less dust on the camera/lens. If you're still afraid it may stick out, have you considered Lenscoats? You can cover your 70-200 with black if you want to. I'll be getting one for my Ef 24-70 2.8 cause it looks cooler in digital camo []

I have considered lens coats, but I personally think it will still stand out... it's a big lens. I don't mind it standing out at sporting events... people are usually used to photographers with big white lenses at a game. And I probably won't find much use for it in places where I wouldn't want attention, so it may not be as much of a problem as I think. In most cases, it would definitely be nicer having the zoom instead of the two primes.

Thanks,
    Derrick

There's been a lot of good advice here. I'd just add one consideration.

I'm all about being discrete, and the attention grabbed by shooting with my 70-200 can be a hinderence if you want candids. HOWEVER, the "serious business" look of it provides some serious credibility. You can get strangers to pose for you lickity-split. I've been able to finagle photo passes at events on two separate occasions with a little fast-talk and a this lens on my hip (both of which required either press affiliation or pre-application). You hold this thing over your head at a show, and the crow parts with greater ease-- they assume you're up to something important, maybe even official. Heck, I once got stopped after shooting photos of a abandoned-condemned power plant: I have dyed hair and some facial piercings, but seeing the camera, I swear, put security off their guard-- artists are just not threatening.

You could claim that the effect is psychological, and you really might be right. But I'm inclined to say it has an implicit meaning that changes the way people react to a camera. It's an engrained symbol artist-status, the way somebody solving a rubix cube implies to observers that they must be very clever.

New question...

What do you think of the 70-200 f/4L IS with a flash in comparison with the 70-200 f/2.8L (with or without flash)? For indoor family shooting or most any low-light situations? I'm thinking that if I have a flash anyways, maybe I don't really need the f2.8 and would rather have 4 stops of IS on the f4. I know there may be situations where I wouldn't have time to get out a flash, and f2.8 would be nice, but the IS would definitely be useful for the majority of my shooting. Then I could even add a f2.8 or faster prime lens (85, 135, or 200) down the road for when I don't want to (or can't) use a flash. Just a thought.

So many things to think about... I'm starting to see why many just go full blast and purchase the 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

Thanks,
    Derrick

Quote Originally Posted by djzuk

What do you think of the 70-200 f/4L IS with a flash in comparison with the 70-200 f/2.8L (with or without flash)? For indoor family shooting or most any low-light situations?

Hope you have big rooms in your house, or are planning on shooting mainly closeups of your family. 70-200 is a little on the long side for shooting in typical rooms, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Hope you have big rooms in your house, or are planning on shooting mainly closeups of your family. 70-200 is a little on the long side for shooting in typical rooms, IMO.

True, so I guess mainly compare the two options for tighter portraits. I'm thinking usually you'd want a flash in this case anyways... so f2.8 wouldn't be necessary. For now I'm leaning more towards the f4 IS... though I guess I don't need to worry about it until after my 10-22 purchase. Maybe by then the f2.8 IS will be around $1000 since the mark II version will be coming out.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Derrick