Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24-70 L - A Step Up from the EF 17-85?

Re: 24-70 L - A Step Up from the EF 17-85?

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB;" lang="EN-GB"]I was trying out the 24-70 L this weekend.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB;" lang="EN-GB"]I really liked the size and weight of the lens. Nice balanced on my 50D I think.
    The zoom range is very usefull. The wide end is wide enough for me (even indoor).
    I can make nice blured backgrounds :-)<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB;" lang="EN-GB"]But compared to my 17-85 I don't see any major improvement in centre sharpness. The corners might be a bit better but not much.
    There are a lot of shoots where I missed IS at the long end. Don't think it's a problem in bright daylight, but indoor and outdoor just before sunset a December day in Denmark.<o></o>
    <p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB;" lang="EN-GB"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]I will look more around. Maybe the ef-s 15-85mm or wait for the 24-70 L with IS (if ever).<o></o>

It is not only sharpness, don't forget colors and contrast.

My friend bought a 24-70L on his 50D for a month ago and I bought a 17-55 for my 50D and I must say that I like my lens better then his. The IS is really helpfull. Winters here in Europe aren't really really sunny, so it comes in handy for a lot of things. Also my mate had a slight issue with minor chromatic aberration on his 24-70 and really I haven't had any trouble with my lens whatsoever. The only thing I can think of is bending lines when you shoot at 17mm. I don't know the proper word for them :P

I suggest the 17-55, especially for the money. I don't think the extra cost for the 24-70 is worth the price, since you don't have a fullframe or weathersealing, but that's just my opinion. Good luck

Yes there are almost no dstortion with 24-70 L. Thats very nice.

Did not see any major diffference in color and contrast to the 17-85. But then again it's very gray and borring in the winter.
    And my indoor test was most about if there was enough light.

If canon makes a lens in the range 20-80 with f/2.8 and IS and L build I will love to pay whatever it will cost.

Well I see that you are looking at the 15-85 as well....maybe the 24-105 is good for you as well. It isn't f2.8, but you get very nice IS and a longer focal range. And L build and quality.

For the extra money you would pay for an 24-70, you can buy a 50mm 1.4 or something to cover your real low light setups. Just a thought..