Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using the Canon 50D for Sports

Re: Using the Canon 50D for Sports

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    but I also have never ever held a 1 series.

Me neither, until I tried a 1Ds Mark III. Keith, whatever it takes, do not try a 1D body. I made the mistake - And now I'm obsessed. [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

I can only imagine. Yeah I'm definitely staying away from that poison. Although I could see me with a refurbed 1D mk IV in a year or so.

I use a 50D for sport from time to time, and I think it's a very capable camera for most scenarios. It may not shoot as fast as the 1D II N, but from my experience I would say the focusing speed of the 50D is at least as fast (if not faster). The hit rate in sports (sharp in focus) at 6FPS is very good, about 50/50 in most cases. In terms of noise, I would say the 50D is quite usable up to ISO3200 for sports (where pure IQ is not that important) - noise is a bit upon your level of acceptance, IMHO I have no problem with the 50D's noise and I think it is a great leap forward comparing to the XSi and XS.

Unless the camera is subject to rain or other unfriendly environment, I doubt if the 1D II N will offer much more than the 50D.

PS: If it's a Xmas gift to my daughter, I would chose the 50D since a 1D body will look too bulky and heavy in her hand...[]

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

You must not have daughters...[img]/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]

If she had her way, I'd be getting her on the waiting list for a 1D MKIV and buying the 7D as back-up.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Why not just buy two 1D Mark IV's? :P

400 2.8 while were at it...

I own the 300and rent the 400. I just can't get past the cost of the 400. I was thinking the 1D MKIV might be a better present for me!

Quote Originally Posted by alexniedra

Me neither, until I tried a 1Ds Mark III. Keith, whatever it takes, do not try a 1D body. I made the mistake - And now I'm obsessed. [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

This is easy to cure. We have a 1Ds MKIII at work which I combined with my 1DMKII and 5DMKII w/BG-E6 during a companyevent photo shoot last July. I toted around all three cameras, 5 lenses including the EF70-200m f/2.8 L IS USM, and enough batteries and cards to last a day. At 5:00 p.m., I could just barely raise my arms above my head.

The 1D series is fabulous and fabulously heavy equipment.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I ordered the 50D from Adorama yesterday. Now, I just have to refrain from giving it to her before Christmas. []