Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using the Canon 50D for Sports

Using the Canon 50D for Sports

My daughter shoots a lot of sports for her school newspaper and online website. On a few occasions she also freelances for the local newspaper. During the school year, she shoots several thousands frames a week. She currently uses a Canon XT and a Canon XTi w/BG-E3 grip. She is usually equipped with the EF 300mm f/4.0 L USMon one camera and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM on the other.

I want to get her an upgraded Canon body for Christmas. The 7D is really nice, but I'mconsidering other Canon bodies simply becuase of the cost.

I have a 1D MKII, so the 1D MKII N is appealing for it's commonality and frame rate. In my area, they are running a little over $1,000. I'm also looking at the 50D as it seemsto be a huge upgrade over the XT series cameras both in frame rate and high ISO image quality. I can find used 50D's for around $800 and new bodies less than $1000.

I'm wondering if anyone out there is using a 50D as a primary sports body. I'm especially interested in it's performance at high ISO in bad light.

Give me your thoughts...

Re: Using the Canon 50D for Sports

In my opinion surprises are over-rated; ask her what she wants. 50D for free or use some of her freelance money and have her pay $700 for the 7D.

You must not have daughters...[]

If she had her way, I'd be getting her on the waiting list for a 1D MKIV and buying the 7D as back-up.

i totally understand that[]

The autofocus and ISO performance of the 7D is far superior to the 50d's. 19pt cross type vs 9 pt.

I have seen the 7D go for less than $1200. If that is too much get the 1D II N.

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    I have seen the 7D go for less than $1200.

Where? Scammy bait and switch retailers don't count...

I'd think the 50D would be great. I use a 40D for sports because of the frame rate and faster focusing over my 5DmkII. I have no complaints but I also have never ever held a 1 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I'd think the 50D would be great. I use a 40D for sports because of the frame rate and faster focusing over my 5DmkII. I have no complaints but I also have never ever held a 1 series.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I find that I don't use the faster frame rate often. I also find the 5dII autofocus to be more accurate than my 40d. For those reasons I sold the 40d and am now doing everything with the 5d. That being said I think a 7D would be an excellent compliment to my 5d but at this time I'd rather spend the money on glass (:

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

You must not have daughters...[img]/emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img]

If she had her way, I'd be getting her on the waiting list for a 1D MKIV and buying the 7D as back-up.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Why not just buy two 1D Mark IV's? :P

400 2.8 while were at it...

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

I find that I don't use the faster frame rate often. I also find the 5dII autofocus to be more accurate than my 40d. For those reasons I sold the 40d and am now doing everything with the 5d. That being said I think a 7D would be an excellent compliment to my 5d but at this time I'd rather spend the money on glass (:

You must mainly use the center focus point.

I'd think the 50D would be great.

Me too. I think it's a great sports body.

I use a 40D for sports

I also use the 40D for my high school sports. I noticed a big impovement in build quality, ISO performance and autofocus performance when I upgraded last December from an Xti. The autofocus for me has worked great for me, so I assume that the 50D can be at least as good in terms of autofocus performance. I have also heard that the 50D high ISO performance is very good - Probably useful when your daughter is shooting in poorly-lit high school gyms or pools.

but I also have never ever held a 1 series.

Me neither, until I tried a 1Ds Mark III. Keith, whatever it takes, do not try a 1D body. I made the mistake - And now I'm obsessed. []