Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mac: Image import/ingest software suggestions

Re: Mac: Image import/ingest software suggestions

Aperture is very nice. I find it renders RAW files better that ACR at similar settings. I have never used Lightroom though.

My only complaint with Aperture is that it wants to batch and organize everything, so loading one single image is a process. Not a huge deal but sometime I like to just double click a RAW image and edit singularly.

iPhoto is a great piece of software that you already have on your new mac and you don't have to pay for anything extra. That being said aperture/lighroom is better and you should buy one of the two at some point.

I would recommend Lightroom over Aperture for most photographers. I've used both, and they're both great programs, but I prefer Lightroom for several reasons.

1. Lightroom has more advanced image editing. Aperture is really lacking on some key image editing features that I use frequently.
    2. Lightroom has more professional printing options. Aperture is reallylacking in this area. Of course, you could use another program for printing... but that's not what we're talking about here.
    3. Lightroom has more (and better in my opinion) web tools. Flash galleries, etc. are all quite good in Lightroom.
    4. I like the library system better in Lightroom.

It's basically better at everything right now. This is slightly unfair seeing as Aperture is older than Lightroom 2. There should be a new version of Aperture sometime next year.. along with a Lightroom 3. The one thing I did like better about Aperture is the speed and integration with Mac OS X. Aperture takes a more non-linear approach to your workflow, which makes it far faster in some ways. In Lightroom 2, it does take a little bit to go through the different modules (Library, Develop, Slideshow, Print, Web). This isn't a huge deal breaker for me though... once you get used to it, Lightroom's advantages overcome the small speed differences. Aperture does have integration with OS X though, and that's quite useful depending on what else you do on your Mac.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on Lightroom 2 vs. Aperture 2. Both are great programs, I just prefer Lightroom for the type of work I do.

Thanks,
    Derrick

Thanks to all for the great Aperture/Lightroom debate.

However, I'm looking for tools to manage/automate the process of reading memory (storage?) cards. I have a decent (or at least sufficient) workflow with DPP, but it's not an ideal sorter/ranker/etc. I'm not a "Photoshopper", but I've recently added Photoshop Elements 8 and expect to add either Lightroom, Aperture, or both very soon. Regardless, it's the card import process for which I'd like the most immediate suggestions.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Card import?. Can you not just drag the raw or .jpeg files from the card on the desktop to a folder on your hard drive?. Then have DPP, or whatever do your processing. This method works very well here.

Maybe you could shed some light on what workflow you are wanting to accomplish...

Quote Originally Posted by MacManUS

Card import?. Can you not just drag the raw or .jpeg files from the card on the desktop to a folder on your hard drive?. Then have DPP, or whatever do your processing. This method works very well here.

Maybe you could shed some light on what workflow you are wanting to accomplish...
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

That method doesn't work well - there's little to no error-checking, there's no easy way other than two separate drags to copy RAWs to one place and JPEGs to another place, there's no mechanism to do intelligent automatic filename modification (to prevent filename collisions).

On my PC, I can tell DownloaderPro to download to W:\Jobs\{J}\Import-{E}\{m}{D}-{T8} and rename to {T8}-{o}, and it'll automatically put the files in a tree that looks like W:\Jobs\RttR-Awards\Import-JPG\1209-50D\50D-IMG_0123.JPG. Control-J allows me to change the job code, and automatically JPGs/RAWs are split, the date is used for hierarchy along with camera model, and the camera model/code is inserted at the beginning of the filename. Images can be losslessly rotated during import, so even basic folder browsing shows pictures that are right-side-up.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

peety,

You have a program called automater in your Utility folder, and it is an AWESOME program for automating things that occur in folders like you want. It is extremely easy to do, and I doubt it will limit what you want. All for free. Might be just what you want, asa creating folder actions is very easy.

Check out www.macosxautomation.com

Also do a google search on "folder action scripts"

There are hundreds of scripts already for what you need.

Your new Mac will come with iPhoto, which will handle automatic card imports into iPhoto's library. You can export from there, but that will leave you with multiple copies of the files on your HDD.

But, if you're happy using DPP, you might be able to use CameraWindow (Canon's photo import utility that should function hand-in-hand with DPP). To set that as the default app to launch when you connect a camera or card reader, go into iPhoto preferences (launch iPhoto and press Command-comma), and on the General tab set the Connecting Camera Opens: pop-up menu to CameraWindow (you'll need to have installed the Canon software suite on your Mac prior to this, and then it will be an option).

Alternatively, you can use iPhoto to organize your images, flag them, etc. - it's pretty good for that, but not really useful as part of a RAW workflow (although it does import the RAW files and display them, since Camera Raw support is system-wide in Mac OS X (and updated frequently as new bodies are released).

By way of plugging another support forum, you might try asking questions or seeking advice in the Apple Discussions (there forums for the different hardware platforms, such as theMacBook Prowhich I have, as well as specific forums foriPhotoandAperture).

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

On my PC, I can tell DownloaderPro to download to W:\Jobs\{J}\Import-{E}\{m}{D}-{T8} and rename to {T8}-{o}, and it'll automatically put the files in a tree that looks like W:\Jobs\RttR-Awards\Import-JPG\1209-50D\50D-IMG_0123.JPG. Control-J allows me to change the job code, and automatically JPGs/RAWs are split, the date is used for hierarchy along with camera model, and the camera model/code is inserted at the beginning of the filename. Images can be losslessly rotated during import, so even basic folder browsing shows pictures that are right-side-up.

For the record: If you know your way around the Unix-shell, you could easily throw together a script that does exactly what you want.

Colin