Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mac: Image import/ingest software suggestions

Mac: Image import/ingest software suggestions

I'm actively switching over to Mac from PC. Most of the transition is going OK, but I'm finding myself struggling with the aspect of reading in my images. What software tools do you folks use?

I've been using DownloaderPro (and BreezeBrowserPro) from BreezeSys on PC up until now. I love the simple way that I can set job names, and have DLP import the images into job folders by file type (RAW/JPEG), date, and camera; it also renames the images with a short form of the camera model so I don't have filename collisions.

I've attempted ImageIngester Pro, but find it overwhelming to set up the basics, and I'm not finding tools to automate the folder path and/or camera model (yes, I can SET these things, but I can't find ways to put the images in folders based on their parameters).

I don't really want to go down the road of a Windows emulator to run DLP/BBP, but perhaps that's what I have to do. Any suggestions from the masses on a better alternative?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Re: Mac: Image import/ingest software suggestions

If you can spring for the cost, Apple's Aperture is a great photo editor/organizer. There are plenty of Automator scripts to assist with workflows.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

Another consideration is Adobe Lightroom, which has a pretty good downloader (though not as advanced as BreezeBrowserPro).

I second the Aperture suggestion. I switched over to Mac right about the time Aperture II came out and the only thing I use beside that now is Photomatix. Couldn't be happier.

Does DPP utility work with MAC?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Far as I know... I have it on my Mac... just don't ever use it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

Yes. DPP, EOS Utility, and the rest of the Canon app suite all work on a Mac, and run fine under the current OS (10.6.2 Snow Leopard).

DPP works with the Mac. Yes.

It is not the preferred solution.

Apple's Aperture is. It is a very good piece of software for the money for a serious photographer. It is an open sytem, in that it allows, third parties to create plugins for the program, much like Adobe Photoshop. The plug-ins available are simply great, as most major photo bent developers have created solutions for Aperture. The raw capabilities, and the ability to have VERY large databases of photo's, with the non-destruct handling of the database, and actual raw files, is invaluable. It offers what cannot really be done anywhere else but on a Mac.

As a photographer, there is no doubt the Apple platform offers a serious advantage. I scratch my head when I realize the host of this site, Bryan, is still a PC user in light of this. Hello Bryan... Get a Mac!

If you have a Mac, you owe it to yourself to download Apple's trial of Aperture. It will put a smile on your face.

2 pennies

Quote Originally Posted by MacManUS
    It offers what cannot really be done anywhere else but on a Mac.

Generic and off-topic hyperbole.

Generic and hyperbolic indeed. Spot on the the OP's question.

2 pennies