Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: if you could have just one......

if you could have just one......

If you could just have one lens, which would it be. General uses would be portrait and landscape.

Let's hear your opinions!

Re: if you could have just one......

As much as you may say you will only ever have one lens...you will get another. Once you pop, you won't stop. Trust me. I should know, I started out with one lens...I'm now at five, and I still desperately want at least three more. So do the smart thing, realize that there will never be that one do-it-all lens, and buy the best lenses for each of your anticipated shooting conditions. Buy a landscape lens, buy a portrait lens. Buy a lens for macro, buy a lens for wildlife. Buy a lens for low light, buy a lens for fast action. But don't buy a lens thinking it will do all of these--or even some of these--remotely well. Because it doesn't exist, and even if it somehow magically did, it would cost more than what it would cost to buy lenses designed for each specific purpose.

That said, you don't specify the kind of camera body you have, nor do you specify your budget or any other relevant parameters besides "portrait/landscape" work. So I can't provide any recommendations.

24-70 L on FF

It's an atypical choice for 'just one', but I'd take the 85 f1.2. I mean, there are a million amazing general and wide range lenses out there. But back when I got my first DSLR I did have only one lens, my 35mm1.4, for YEARS (this was on a 1.6 crop body, mind you). Some of my favorite photos were thus taken. Now I have a number of lenses, and when I want to make something artistic and not documentary, I still often find myself happier when I put focal length, angle of view, and other technical considerations out of mind and just shoot with whatever lens I have. I really think it makes for interesting shots, and I think my days stuck at 35 helped me find my voice as a photographer. Today I'd take the 85 because I am in awe of it. It's probably my favorite lens. It does pretty things. I also do a lot in low-light.

For me? Without doubt the 24-70 L. Simply amazing. I use it primarily on my 40D, but I find the focal range "just right" for my style of shooting. If I had just one lens, this would be it.

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

24-70 L on FF

Same. 50 1.2l would be tempting too, i guess (85mm 1.2l on non 1.6x crop).

24-70L or 100-400L

24-105
    Mark

Of course it's the 1200/5.6L!! []

But seriously though, I would prefer my 16-35/2.8L II on FF. It's as perfect a walk around lens as the 24-70L and it gives a wow at 16mm when used properly.

I usually take my 16-35L + 85/1.8 with my 1V-HS for a trip. This is combo does landscape + portrait brilliantly.

Just my $0.02

As a guy trying to make a living at this I'd say my 24-70 2.8.

But if I was just shooting for pleasure I'd say my 16-35 2.8 II.