Thread: christmas scene

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

christmas scene

looking for feedback. its a snippet of a Christmas scene on top our tv cabinet. got the xsi last christmas and have deleted a hoop of pictures.[]

xsi 100mm f/2.8

1/60 f/2.8 iso-400

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.03/small_2D00_034_2D00_800_2D00_533.jpg[/img]

Re: christmas scene

<span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-AU; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]Cut, very cute, could use a bit more light on my monitor, but very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott

<span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-AU; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]Cut, very cute, could use a bit more light on my monitor, but very cool.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Indeed it's very nice. As Scott said, it needs a little more light and maybe a little exposure compensation.. the whites are bit grayish in my view.. []
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

here is my shot at re-editing it. I lightened, added some saturation, and upped the contrast. I think this shows off your excellent composition a little better. [img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.31.08/winterscene.jpg[/img]

I like your edit, Whatsreal. It needs some blacks in there though. (depending on what you use to edit photos, you may not have this adjustment). You could achieve the same result by using the tonal curve too. It basically needs some more contrast. Much better than the original though, in my opinion. No offense to 2slo. I really like the composition! Just needed to be much brighter. Very cool shot though.

Derrick

from my work computer I have to agree with everyone about Whatsreal edit looking much better. From the house, the image is much closer to Whatsreal edit. I think I need to check my monitor athouse, somethings amiss.

I first shot it as a night time scene and my daughter complained it was too dark, so I reshot with a flash.

thanks for the replies,

Jerry

edit: ok, checked at the house and the picts look fine for what I was shooting. was going for a dusk shot to match the streetlamp thats on. my work monitor is pretty cheezy and old.

ok, finally had time to mess witha reshoot. Went for thebrighter look people prefer, while maintaining appropriate shadows. Also turned off the street lights.[]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.03/dads_2D00_046_2D00_800.jpg[/img]

I think you're getting closer. However, the snowman needs some light on him. Typically speaking, snow reflects alot of light. Therefore, there's usually not much shadow when there's snow on the ground. Plus, the snowman is the main focal draw in the image--yet he's not significantly lit.

Also, when you're shooting snow (and scenes with an abundance of white in them), your camera will naturally underexpose the image--shifting white to gray. You'll have to dial in a stop or two of overexposure to get the proper exposure for the scene.