Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite lens? I'm interested in knowing.

Re: What is your favorite lens? I'm interested in knowing.

Mm, Keith, I agree on the flare in that shot, although I haven't see that effect in anything I've shot. Let me see if I can find one that illustrates what I'm talking about...more of a dreamy, washed-out look that goes with hair blowing in the breeze in late afternoon. (Am I a little too much in love with this lens? Probably!)

This is the only time I've had issues with it. I genuinely love this lens too. I don't often shoot stuff like this.

I can tell this is an issue of the light reflecting off the sensors, I'm sure this was a tough shot. I always mean to go back and shoot it with my 16-35 and see if the same thing happens.

This sort of explains it....I think I added a little contrast back in on this one. There's little if any flare that looks like a rainbow, but I don't think it would be objectionable if that did happen here -- maybe because it's fairly obvious that we're looking toward the sun.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.74/20090331_2D00_3947.jpg[/img]

Nice shot Jeff. Flare in that shot is nicely controlled. I can handle flare and sometimes approve of it. It is just weird in these shots.

Now that I'm looking at them and remembering how they were shot, I think it probably has to do with long exposures. I know the 5DmkII has issues with the mirror reflecting back on the sensor. It just never looked like this. So probably not the lens at all now that I have given some thought to it.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_1607sm.jpg[/img]

In this shot I remembered seeing the flare from the light in the view finder but not that oval to the right of the frame.

Canon 100-400 L

It does everything from making me invisable to the subjects scared of me .... totaking me to the moon.

Its stealth and it does all of the leg workfor me.

I'm from Texas and the only thing better is bigger.

I wish I could afford a 1Ds MKIII so I could use a 2x with auto focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombsight

Canon 100-400 L

It does everything from making me invisable to the subjects scared of me .... totaking me to the moon.

Its stealth and it does all of the leg workfor me.

I'm from Texas and the only thing better is bigger.

I wish I could afford a 1Ds MKIII so I could use a 2x with auto focus.

Do you use the 1.4x with it? If so how is the focusing and performance? I love my 100-400. I use it on a 40D for surf pics and need some more reach. I' cropping away about 4-5MP of my 10MP image right now.

I own most of the f/4 L series of lenses, plus the f/2.8 100mm macro.

My favorite is the one I need for the shot, they're all good.

But the one I gravitate to more than any of the others is the Sigma f/3.5 180mm macro.

It's the one lens I try to find an excuse to use.

It changes from day to day. It's usually the lens I last used for my last really good shot.[]

Right now, though, it's the 24-105mm f/4 L. Versatile and dependable.

I dont have either one, Keith

I shoot surfing also .... but cant justify buying a 1.4 or 2x because all of the sports I shoot are fast in nature.

If I understand correctly, the 1.4 & the 2x dont work in auto focus on my 5DMKII or my 7D.

The only use I can see right now for a manual focus multiplier is shooting the moon. I'm thinking rental next time Hale Bop comes around.[]

Thanks Bomb

I have 5DmkII but I don't use that for surf shots due slow frame rate. The 40D's 6.5 fps is good but I'm seriously thinking about the 7D for 8fps and the crop ability of 18MPs. I'd love a 1D4 but I can't justify that.