Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite lens? I'm interested in knowing.

What is your favorite lens? I'm interested in knowing.

As the title says, what is your favorite lens?

The answer doesn't have to be a lens you own or a lens branded Canon. But it will be better if you can share your opinion on why you like it.

To make a start. My all time favorite is the Canon 16-35/2.8L II. It's a high quality lens both in terms of its construction and the pictures it produces. It's a lens wide enough to contain the world around me and yet i can filter it with ease. There are just so many things you can do with it, and it is the lens on my camera most of the time.

Let me know what you've got.[]

Re: What is your favorite lens? I'm interested in knowing.

I love my 85 f/1.8, I've taken some amazing shots with it. I've used it from everything fromportraits to photographing animals in Zooexhibits. Examples;

Canon Rebel XT - Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM - @f/1.8

But I rented the 35L this past Thanksgiving, and I completely fell in love. It SO sharp wide open, even on my Rebel XT. Here's my two best shots with it I just posted in a another thread.

Canon Rebel XT - Canon 35mm f/1.4L - @f/1.4 ISO100 - 1/500 - 1/800

I'd have to say the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. On my 50D, that lens could stay on my camera 90% of the time and I'd be doing just fine. It produces high quality images, has a wide f/2.8 maximum aperture coupled with image stabilization, and encompasses the most useful focal range for a crop body (for me, especially).

That's a difficult question to answer. Different needs argue for different lenses. Part of the challenge of owning a SLR is accumulating all the lenses you will need to cover these varying contingencies.

That said, I think my favorite lens is the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L Tilt-Shift Lens. This is the older version, not as optically fine as the brand new version (but, then again, neither was it as expensive). I bought it about a year and half ago, and have had a lot of fun with it both in terms of creating unusual landscape and portrait depths-of-field and for tweaking architectural photography to get more (or sometimes less) realistic perspectives. I'll probably upgrade to the newer lens at some point, but right now it suits me very well.

it varies.

I just had my 16-35 as my favorite, before that it was my 24-70, and before that my 180 macro..

I guess whatever's on the camera that I'm holding at the time

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

I guess whatever's on the camera that I'm holding at the time

+1 for that!

my personal favorites are:

ef 300mm f/4l is usm: light, cheaper, good image quality, can be used for macro.

ef 24-105mm f.4l usm: don't own it but have rented it several times. Always delivers []

Of course, it's my EF 400mm f/5.6L USM.

It's not what I use the most but I have to say my favorite is the 16-35 2.8 II.

I would have to say my favorite lens is the 24-105L. I use it all the time! It is well built, handles nicely and hits my usual focal length range. Plus, it focuses nice and close for closeup work.

Going outside Canon, my new favorite lens is the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 that comes with the GF1. Sharp and tiny!