Page 105 of 558 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 5572

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Thank you Joel, that explains a lot. My few attempts at trying to get good images of the birds around my place hinted to me that there is a lot involved with set up, lens selection and more than anything patience.

The shots from your perches deserve to be in an encyclopedia.(excuse the spelling, if incorrect, but these were big fat books that had beautiful pictures in them. They were used before the internet. heh heh)

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

JJphoto.....well rural Kentucky is a lot different from Califronia, (I think I remember you being there?) especially real estate prices!!!

I am actually in a rural subdivision but my house is on a cul-de-sac and the "backyard" drops off steeply down to a small creek and farm land behind me. Because of the steepness of the terrain it could not be used to build a residence so my lot is much bigger than average but I really like it....lots of wildlife and lots of privacy.

Joel

Thanks Steve for the kind words:

The setup is not complicated or expensive, I posted some pictures of it in this forum a few months ago.

Patience, trial and error are the key

Since I'm quite new here, I'd just like to say that I think this is one of the most interesting threads on the forum, seeing the amazing variety of bird life from all over the planet. I've been visiting for a while, but just got round to joining in. I'll start with one of my favourite shots.

5D Mark II, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM + 1.4x@200mm, f/4, 1/2500s

Emperor Penguins near Snow Hill Island, Antarctica. I say 'near' the island because we were actually on the frozen Weddell Sea here. We were not allowed to approach within 10m of the birds, but there's no rule against them approaching us. I know the guy is using a Nikon, but we're an inclusive bunch here aren't we?
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-11-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Andy, Welcome aboard. This is a great shot---But it
    Bob

Thanks, Bob. There are not too many Emperors around here either (Aberdeen, Scotland), but just as much snow and ice at the moment. There is plenty more to come from that trip and others. For now, I hope you don't mind another couple of teasers (I'm new to Flickr too, so I'm still uploading stuff there to share here)...

5D Mark II, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM @400mm, f/5.6, 1/1600s, ISO 100
    Emperor penguins jumping from the sea behind our ship (we were parked in the ice at the time)

5D Mark II, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM @400mm, f/7.1, 1/2000s, ISO 100
    Brown skua harassing an emperor penguin creche. The skuas will eat eggs and tiny chicks, but these chicks are old enough to be safe from attack. The skuas also feed on penguin poo, which is in plentiful supply in the colony.

Both of these are heavily cropped.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-11-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Andy -

Welcome!! Your shots are amazing and I also enjoy reading your explanations of them ...very much looking forward to more photos and education from you!

Denise

Welcome Andy, those are nice shots, like it very much!

We don

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/0284.Penguin.jpg[/img]

Unfortunately the only time I've ever seen one is at the zoo. But I can always go back and look at my photos and pretend!
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by dsiegel5151
    Unfortunately the only time I've ever seen one is at the zoo.

That doesn't matter, you've posted something that I've never seen in the wild either, so thanks for sharing. Is that a young Magellanic penguin?
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-11-2011 at 10:02 AM.