Page 12 of 557 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112512 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Wow really nice picture! The bird on the background is really adding something to your photo [Y]

@Wickerprints

Man those pictures are sharp!!! I still can't believe you took em with only "100mm" You should have been very close?

Wickerprints;

If you like HBs, check out PBS' http://video.pbs.org/video/1380512531/

Great HB photography w/many destinations up and down the Americas.

Great photos w/the 100....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Wickerprints;

If you like HBs, check out PBS' [url="http://video.pbs.org/video/1380512531/]http://video.pbs.org/video/1380512531/[/url]

Great HB photography w/many destinations up and down the Americas.

Great photos w/the 100....
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

WOW. Just... WOW. Thank you so much for the link! It appears that the video is quite recent, too. I can't imagine anybody watching this video without being left with a sense of pure wonderment and respect for hummingbirds. Wish I could visit some of the habitats of the species shown in the film; all we have here are Anna's hummingbirds, and a few other species at the zoo.

They really are just marvelous and beautiful creatures, and an absolute joy to watch. I saw the diving display of the male Anna's hummingbird on a recent trip out, and it's really funny to watch. He'll zip right up into the sky, hover for a beat, and then divebomb toward the ground at incredible speed. I have a few Anna's visiting me in my backyard (where I took the above photos), and to date I have not observed this behavior in the male, presumably because (1) there are no females present, or (2) the environment isn't suitable.

Also, thanks for the compliments on my photos...my motivation for getting the 300/4L IS was in fact to better photograph these birds. But I soon discovered that, with the appropriate setup, the 100/2.8L macro IS was a better choice. Hummingbirds are so intent on finding and guarding good nectar sources that they can quite easily overcome their skittishness around people. As such, setting up a feeder right outside my backyard door made it easy to photograph them, and the macro enabled me to fill the frame. I would sit very still and let the hummer come up to the feeder, and it was easy to get a rough estimate of where it would hover between sips. That let me catch them in flight. The main difficulty was getting enough light (resolved by using flash and an umbrella to bounce), and finding good exposure settings. I still haven't quite gotten the perfect exposure.

For the zoo shots, I use the 300/4L IS because I can't get close enough to the feeders or set up a tripod. It works all right, but to date I have not yet been able to catch them in flight--they simply don't visit the feeder frequently enough. I could wait for hours and only have a couple of chances at a shot, and even then, other patrons entering the aviary can scare the hummers away.

thanks Sheiky, your comment is a encouragement for a new birder like me.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

thanks Sheiky, your comment is a encouragement for a new birder like me.

Well to be honest, I'm not a birder whatsoever, that's why I'm not getting real excited of a photo of just a bird in a tree. Unless there is something special. And your photo is special! It's different and I really liked that. If it would be only one bird it would be a lot less exciting for me. Now your composition is really cool. I like that it is different! Better...I love that it is different!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    I would crop out the dark part on top of the frame.

Yeah, I thought about that but I like the way it is framed as it is. I have a few pictures that need to have some editing done to them.

The backround on this is nice.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.86/_5F00_MG_5F00_8051.TIF-reduced.JPG[/img]

John.

Here are some more from this weekend ~ all taken with 7D and 300mm f/4l is usm ~

White breasted nuthatch, f/5.0, 1/200, ISO 320. Manual Exposure, Handheld, uncropped.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_2207.jpg[/img]

Titmouse, f/7.1, 1/125, ISO 320. Manual Exposure, Handheld, uncropped.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_2333.jpg[/img]

thanks for viewing

brendan

Went out with the boys to see ice fishing on a pond near by and happened to see a couple of Jays looking for nest material. Happened to have the camera handy and caught this picture. Taken with XTi, 70-200 f4 L IS with Kenko 1.4x extender at f5.6, 280mm. Cropped pretty heavily, I believe ISO 400.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.64/20100123_5F00_IMG_5F00_4602.jpg[/img]

Taken on a snowy afternoon in backyard. Canon 40D, 300mm 2.8L + 1.4 x TC, ISO 400, f/6.3, 1/320 sec., AV priority, metering: center weighted average. Processed with ACR and CS4.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/_5F00_MG_5F00_60681.jpg[/img]

very nice photo Joel. Lucky man, with the 300 f/2.8.

brendan