Page 2 of 557 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Just a test to see if I'm smart enough to execute a simple post... -pb[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.93/House-Wren-_2D00_-PB.jpg[/img]

Hi Oren, sorry I missed your question![]. That's a tough one to answer, I generally don't pay attention to how close I am to the subject, because my subjects are ranging from giant white pelican to tiny bufflehead, so I just try to fill the frame as much as possible, I also try not to post any images that are over 50% cropped.

The osprey shot is about 75% of the original image and the following GBH shot is fullframe

Canon 40D, EF 400mm f5/6L USM, f/6.3, 1/3200, ISO 250, -1 Exp. Comp, handheld

Nate,

Some great shots here......

Nate; in general, what metering method do you use?

Juvenile Cooper's Hawk hand held shot w/40D, 100-400 at 400mm, f10, ISO 200, shutter 1/500th, metering spot.

[img]file:///C:/Users/Owner/Pictures/Kestrel%20perched.jpg[/img]

90% of the time I use Manual Exposure and when I use Aperture Value I use Evaluative Metering.

Kool Cooper Hawlk shot Bill, good exposure, pose and head angle, background too clutter though

Nate,

Thanks for your input Nate.

I agree about the background, but I like to let the viewer of my pix to know what surroundings I'm in also. LOL When I print this pic I'll PS the background for a more pleasant bokeh.

Here's one taken a few weeks ago in a Raptor workshop I participated in....I rented the 70-200 2.8 IS for this shoot. As you can see the pix' bokeh (untouched) is much better, but it was a controlled setting and I didn't have to traipse thru brambles to capture the Kestrel. I feel as if I was cheating. []

Thanks again

Bill

A bluebird in my backyard.

All right, so I posted this before. But I don't have a camera, so can't take any new pictures right now. This picture is uncropped.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.86/_5F00_MG_5F00_3086-reduced.JPG[/img]

Enjoy,

John.

Eared Grebe

Canon 40D, EF 500mm f/4L IS USM, f/5.6, 1/2000, ISO 250, Manual Exposure, Handheld.

[]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_0588sm.jpg[/img]

Taken during the Blizzard of 2009....actually, if you live north of Boston it was just a regular old snow storm...we rec'd 5".

BJ waiting his turn at the feeding station.....