Page 20 of 558 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120520 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Ozimax,

Nice pics mate. But more to the point - good to see another Aussie on the forums. I think that now makes... 3.

Good stuff,

Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson

Awesome shots to everyone. I am very impressed with yourabilities. I recently tried to catch a red tailed hawk in flight and that is tougher that I had imagined. I have noticed that I need a bit more reach than a 70-200 + 1.4x tc gives me. I was wondering if you guys do a whole lot of cropping for the images you are posting here. I have to heavily crop everything that I am shooting as I am not allowed where I want to go. Thanks. I would love to contribute a shot if I can get my other computer to start up. Having a little problem.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Jayson to answer your question yes most of mine are crops to some extent. I have the 300 F\4 and use it with the 1.4TC alot but still wished I could afford a 500 F\4 so just have to practice getting closer to my pray. The last couple weeks have been real lucky at managing to do that.

Ozimax those are some beautiful shots of some wonderful looking birds.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

Do you live in Australia? Those look like Australian Pelicans to me... What lens did you use?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yep. I don't know the difference in pelicans, they all look the same to me! Lens was a Canon 50mm F1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Wes

Ozimax those are some beautiful shots of some wonderful looking birds.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks Wes, we have amazing birdlife, right in or near our backyard on the NSW north coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade
    This a hairy woodpecker, shot in my backyard using a suet feeder to attract birds. Taken with Canon 40D, 300mm + 1.4X TC.

Joel that is a beautiful shot. Do you use a blind? I am trying to attract woodpeckers to my feeder and setups, I have seen red-bellied and downy woodpeckers but never within 100 yards. If you could share some of your setup advice it would be greatly appreciated []

anywho, here are a couple shots of cardinals from today. I know they're not the best shots, but the Cardinals in my area are incredibly skittish and I don't have a blind, YET [8o|]

Canon EOS 7D and Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM lens @ f/6.3, 1/640, ISO 640. Manual, Handheld.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/840x1120/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_4122.jpg[/img]

Same setup at f/7.1, 1/500, ISO 640. Manual Exposure, Handheld.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/840x1120/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_3933.jpg[/img]

thanks 4 viewing and commenting

brendan

Brendan,

I a collapsible blind made by Ameristep called "the outhouse". http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/outhouse.html

The frame is sort of springy so that it opens up automatically and you stake it down to the ground. Fits one person if you're using a tripod and small chair. I use a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, I had a Slik aluminum one but it didn't really perform very well....I get MUCH sharper images since upgrading to the Gitzo.

I use suet cages hanging from a pole feeder, I haven't noticed much difference in the type of suet, I buy the cheapest I can find. Make sure you keep 'em full all the time to keep birds coming.

I use old tree limbs scrounged from the woods behind the house as perches, try to find one that has some rot or fungus on it..it looks better....and I useplastic christmas tree holders (you can get 'em cheap right after the holidays) to hold the perches and also to allow me to position them easily. Some people also use small water features with drips or running water to attract birds. Audio can also be used : http://www.birdjam.com/

I try to position the perch in the bird's flight path as they approach the feeder and then place the blind about 15 feet or so away from the perch, taking care to get the best sun angle and the best background for the shot. Obviously the best light is very early and very late in the day usually so you have to change the setup accordingly. Sometimes light overcast will give a good diffused light all day.

I get in the blind and line the camera up on the perch, take some test shots to get the histogram rightwith the camera settings I want and then wait. When a bird lands on the perch you have to try to take the shot with minimal movement....sound often doesn't scare them away but panning the camera usually will. Take a ton of shots and concentrate on exposure technique.Learning to use fill flash is also worthwhile, it helps to get better detail and sharpness in many cases.

If you want to see the ultimate way to do this : http://www.alanmurphyphotography.com/

So, that's the low down on set ups!

I suggest a ghillie suit but its either alot of work or decent money (more than a simple popup blind) but they work wonderfully and you get added mobility.

Wearing them I've been about 8-10 yards from turkeys which are in my opinion one of the hardest birds to be near for any extended period
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

technical difficulties.....[]

resolved........f5.6, 1/3200, ISO 1000....tough light today; wx goes from snowing to a peek of sunight back to snowing.

Thanks Joel for the advice.

man, i've been on a tear recently with these cardinals. Here's some more from 2day:

7D/300 f/4L IS USM @ f/8, 1/320, ISO 640. Manual Exposure, Handheld.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_4148.jpg[/img]

Female Cardinal

f/7.1, 1/400, ISO 640. Manual Exposure, Handheld.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_4202.jpg[/img]

C&amp;C welcome.

brendan