Page 270 of 558 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270271272280320370 ... LastLast
Results 2,691 to 2,700 of 5571

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    This was the scene out by my bird feeder just a few minutes ago. I boosted reds and blues and dropped the other colors to make the birds stand out. I think I have half the cardinal population of IL right here in my yard.
    Amazing....maybe they should make the Northern Cardinal the State Bird in Illinois rather than Kentucky....I have never seen so many all together.

I notice you have the rodent invaders like we do too!

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    This was the scene out by my bird feeder just a few minutes ago. I boosted reds and blues and dropped the other colors to make the birds stand out. I think I have half the cardinal population of IL right here in my yard.

WOW!!! I never even see this many at one time in any of the nature preserves!! What the heck do you feed them to attract so many cardinals and blue jays too??? I have tried everything and have never been able to attract a woodpecker or blue jay! I only get one female and one male cardinal, a few chickadees, finches etc. ...oh, and of course the rodents with the furry tails!

My one very lonely cardinal ...

IMG_9946 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Yep....a female Downy...you're right. Very sharp image. The whites might be a little hot (over-exposed) but otherwise it is really well done. I don't think I have ever seen any bird images with the 135mm f/2 lens.
    Joel,

I've been trying to learn post processing and made the updates below in PSE 10 to improve the highlight details. What do you think?

Dave

2012_02_05_2664 by dthrog00, on Flickr
    Last edited by Dave Throgmartin; 03-04-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: fixed spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    WOW!!! I never even see this many at one time in any of the nature preserves!! What the heck do you feed them to attract so many cardinals and blue jays too??? I have tried everything and have never been able to attract a woodpecker or blue jay! I only get one female and one male cardinal, a few chickadees, finches etc. ...oh, and of course the rodents with the furry tails!
    I buy these 50lb bags of peanut pickouts (I assume peanuts that failed some sort of inspection for human consumption) from a local Prairieland Feeds store. I also buy 40lb bags of black oil sunflower. I feed them daily unless we're away.

Here's a closer shot showing the peanut pickouts.

Mark - Flickr

I notice you have the rodent invaders like we do too!
    Yes, and some of them get quite large.

Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Joel,

I've been trying to learn post processing and made the updates below in PSE 10 to improve the highlight details. What do you think?

Dave

2012_02_05_2664 by dthrog00, on Flickr
    Dave, the Female Downy looks wonderful on my MacBook Pro.....good detail in the whites and great sharpness. Very nicely done.

Now get out there and put up a natural looking perch

I was in Louisville yesterday helping a friend with a photo shoot at the Kentucky Special Olympics State Basketball Tournament. I had some time in the late afternoon to stop at a city park that usually has some nice ducks.

ID MKIV
    500mm hand held
    ISO 800
    f/7.1
    1/800

Boat Tailed Grackle

1D MKIV
    500mm
    ISO 800
    f/6.3
    1/800

Now get out there and put up a natural looking perch
    I'm not claiming this is that great of a picture, but it does have a natural looking perch! I put it up last weekend... wire tied a branch near my deck. I should come up something better later, but this is a start. We didn't have any sun the whole weekend hence the bad lighting.

2012_03_03_3221_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr