Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Eastern Bluebird
    1D MKIV
    500mm
    ISO 400
    f/8
    1/1250

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Love the Better Beamer ... probably the best "bang for the buck" accessory I have ever seen...it's magical.
    It is interesting brought the Better Beamer up... I went into a photography store yesterday looking for a Better Beam. I had heard this salesman tell customer after customer that they did not really want to buy what they can in for (he always had a better idea). So when I asked him if they had a Better Beamer he went into a long story about how they tested in extensively and a Snoot is better. Basically he kept calling it a diffuser, and I could not get him to agree that it actually focuses the light to a tighter pattern - contrary to the designed purpose of a ferensal lens, he said it diffuses the light and scaters it more. I realize that plastic ferensel lenses are not great optical devises, but everything I have read agrees with you, and now I guess I am going to have to order one on line.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    It is interesting brought the Better Beamer up... I went into a photography store yesterday looking for a Better Beam. I had heard this salesman tell customer after customer that they did not really want to buy what they can in for (he always had a better idea). So when I asked him if they had a Better Beamer he went into a long story about how they tested in extensively and a Snoot is better. Basically he kept calling it a diffuser, and I could not get him to agree that it actually focuses the light to a tighter pattern - contrary to the designed purpose of a ferensal lens, he said it diffuses the light and scaters it more. I realize that plastic ferensel lenses are not great optical devises, but everything I have read agrees with you, and now I guess I am going to have to order one on line.

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.
    That guy was certainly not giving you correct information. I would doubt he actually used one in the field. It is a plastic fresnel lens that focuses your flash at a much farther distance, so it is nice for small objects like birds. Because it focuses the light it allows you to use lower power settings on your speedlite and thus it recycles much faster and the batteries last much longer too. Using it with the flash set to a low power allows you to fill in shadows and get nice even light on your subject....it works really really well.

When I first got my beamer to fill in the under side of flying Barn Swallows, I couldn't get it to work. Everything came out looking the same even after cranking up my flash power as high as it would go. Then I remembered that I never adjusted the flash to the proper angle. I was so focused on that being the issue, I forgot to dial my flash back down. The very next shot I took, the bird flew into a nearby tree trunk. I think I blinded the poor guy
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    When I first got my beamer to fill in the under side of flying Barn Swallows, I couldn't get it to work. Everything came out looking the same even after cranking up my flash power as high as it would go. Then I remembered that I never adjusted the flash to the proper angle. I was so focused on that being the issue, I forgot to dial my flash back down. The very next shot I took, the bird flew into a nearby tree trunk. I think I blinded the poor guy
    Yes, I think they recommend setting the flash zoom at 50mm and the flash has to be aimed directly at your subject. It also works better with a super tele lens on a tripod if you put the flash on a bracket so it is forward and slightly higher than the camera body.

Another warning...the fresnel lens is bi-directional....don't leave it set up facing the sun...it will focus the sun on your flash and burn a hole in it!

I like the perch, you just needed more light.....good work, looking forward to more!
    Here are a couple with the new perch.

2012_03_10_3338_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

2012_03_10_3321_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

Dave

Dave...really like the first...nice shot...great lighting!

That guy was certainly not giving you correct information. I would doubt he actually used one in the field. It is a plastic fresnel lens that focuses your flash at a much farther distance, so it is nice for small objects like birds. Because it focuses the light it allows you to use lower power settings on your speedlite and thus it recycles much faster and the batteries last much longer too. Using it with the flash set to a low power allows you to fill in shadows and get nice even light on your subject....it works really really well.
    Hi Joel
    Have looked at the Better Beamer a number of times. The problem I have is knowing how to get the best out of it. I have done a lot of searching for how to information but all I have found it either too confusing or too simple. As I only have a 7D, EF 70-300 L & 430EX, most of the info I found related to 300+ lenses. Although I have even seen a pro (1D & EF 70-200 2.8) photographing a music festival using one.

Is there how too information with the unit? or would you be able to direct me to a how to guide?

Tony
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Hi Joel
    Have looked at the Better Beamer a number of times. The problem I have is knowing how to get the best out of it. I have done a lot of searching for how to information but all I have found it either too confusing or too simple. As I only have a 7D, EF 70-300 L & 430EX, most of the info I found related to 300+ lenses. Although I have even seen a pro (1D & EF 70-200 2.8) photographing a music festival using one.

Is there how too information with the unit? or would you be able to direct me to a how to guide?

Tony
    Tony,

It comes with an instruction sheet and it really isn't too complicated. I have used one with my 430 EXII and 300mm lens many times, so it will work with your gear.

Basically you set your flash zoom to 50mm, for fill flash you can use a low ETTL setting like -2 1/3 stops....take a test image and adjust exposure from there. I shoot in manual mode but it works equally well in AV or TV mode. You can also put your flash in manual mode on a very low setting such as 1/16 or 1/32 power and use it that way as well. Just a little experimentation and you will have it working in no time

I think if you read any tutorial on "Fill Flash" it will be applicable to using the Better Beamer check this out....

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...r_beamer.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Here are a couple with the new perch.

2012_03_10_3338_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

2012_03_10_3321_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr
    Dave
    Both of these are nice, good poses with good eye contact. I would go for a more vertical crop. Kudos