Page 333 of 558 FirstFirst ... 233283323331332333334335343383433 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,330 of 5571

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    No it was heavy overcast...I did get a little ghosting because I was using 1/16 instead of 1/32. The reason for that is an experimental set up. I used my 2 Wimberly macro flash arms attached to the Wimberly gimbal to hold 2 430 EXII's and the 3rd flash was on the hotshoe of the camera. This makes everything attached to one tripod so no light stands to mess with. I quickly found out though that the flashes end up a little too far from the birds and thus not enough light at 1/32 power. It was an attempt to simplify the set up but the other way is probably better with each flash on it's own stand.
    It's funny how we go through that. I have tried several different versions of the same idea in an attempt to make set-up quick and easy. I tried to put 3 flashes one stand and one on the camera and found the same thing you did. The flash on the camera never seems to be close enough. I also lose the top light--(Which I really like). But I have a new Idea I plan to try this week.

I purchased the Westcott Apollo soft box recently for a couple of reasons. 1. baby pictures. and 2. I am going to put two lights in the softbox and use them without the diffuser cloth, and one top light---I am hoping that the silver lining of the soft box will give me those specular highlights I have been looking for in the birds wings and feathers. Time will tell. Bob
    Bob

OK, I finally took the time to print a few backgrounds and try them on my Hummingbirds. The only species we have east of the Mississippi is the Ruby Throat so no diversity like Bob enjoys but they're beautiful none the less.

I like the background colors but I need to incorporate flowers and maybe some patterns in the BG as well. These were taken with 1D3 and the 300mm f/2.8L with 3 flashes on the bird and one on the background all set to 1/32 power. Which one do you like best?

The second background is my favorite. Looks like the bird is up against the sky. Very pleasing to my eye.
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Which one do you like best?
    the first one is my favorite, the last one is pretty good too.

Awesome shots, Joel! As far as the backgrounds go, I like the second and last one. The first is really nice but maybe a tad of a lighter shade would be better IMO.

I took a few hb shots today, I actually think I have two coming to my feeders now, two female.

FRTHB by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr

OK, I finally took the time to print a few backgrounds and try them on my Hummingbirds. The only species we have east of the Mississippi is the Ruby Throat so no diversity like Bob enjoys but they're beautiful none the less.

I like the background colors but I need to incorporate flowers and maybe some patterns in the BG as well. These were taken with 1D3 and the 300mm f/2.8L with 3 flashes on the bird and one on the background all set to 1/32 power. Which one do you like best?
    Yes, The RTHs are beautiful, I just wish they would join the ranks here in the south west. As far as the backgrounds, I don't care for the solid colors much except for black, Unless of course you need the solid color to make masking a little easier. What I do find the solid colors useful is to fill in dark spots when you have some sort of leafy or flowered background. In this case I think the light greens would work very nice. As far as the Birds Go, My favorite is the second one. I always like to see this front facing position because you have a better chance of lighting the gorget ---and you did a nice job lighting this one.

Nice work, keep em coming Joel

Bob
    Bob

Nice work Denise.
    Bob

OK, I finally took the time to print a few backgrounds and try them on my Hummingbirds. Which one do you like best?

Beautiful shot! I like this background the best!

Awesome shot Denise!

Here are some more shots of the Swainson's Hawk. I went out 6 times this weekend and yesterday morning before work and finally got a few unobstructed shots.

Here is a full frame shot--I know the Comp is off but I wanted to give you an idea how close this guy would let me get. This is about 13 feet; MFD of the 500.

I hate my mom's cooking: (Another full frame shot)

You Again???

I have about 700 shots to go through but this is a start. I am also going out tomorrow evening, while the wife is out with the girls.
    Bob