Page 35 of 558 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135535 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Thanks for the nice comments.

Brendan, you're right, it's not that easy, that's part of the fun. I've been reading/studying quite extensively for the last 2 years to learn about digital exposure. It boils down to having good light (get in the right position at the right time) and knowing about exposure theory (study and practice practice practice). Of course I've only shown you my better attempts, trust me, I've had hundreds of duds. It took me almost a year to learn how to use the 300mm 2.8L lens to get really sharp pictures. During that time I was learning and studying I also figued out that a really good tripod makes a BIG difference. Here's one I took today using fill flash from a 430ex and better beamer.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/_5F00_MG_5F00_7692.jpg[/img]

Great shots all. Tucan is my fav of the 4 and Joel your stuff is fantastic. Met up with a Snowy Egret yesterday. Couldn't pick my favorite, you try [].

All were 50D 70-200L F4 IS @ F4 between 1/1000 to 1/2000 and iso 100-200.

-james

Bueller? Bueller? I sure hope this thread hasn't officially died... I was enjoying the C&C. I would esspicially like feedback on the Snowy Egret, as I want to learn all I can before encountering a GBH etc. Thanks for viewing.

Here are 4 photos shot from the same spot on the same day... I think I got about 750 there, a few have got to be good, right []

50D 70-200L F4 IS @ F4 1/640 iso 100

50D 70-200L F4 IS @ F4 1/800 iso 100

50D 70-200L F4 IS @ F4 1/1600 iso 200

50D 70-200L F4 IS @ F4 1/2000 iso 200

-james

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJacket
    Here are 4 photos shot from the same spot on the same day... I think I got about 750 there, a few have got to be good, right

Holy crap James! What's your keeper-rate if I might ask? I really like your last shot [Y]

Jan

James,

The last Snowy Egret is the best one of the series. I like the pose and head angle ans the background. To me though, they look a little underxposed and noisy. I don't know if you could tease more detail out without worsening the noise. I think you could crop a little off the bottom and add canvas to the top of the image and it would be better. I would try shooting with a higher ISO and make sure you push the histogram to the right a little, you'll get more detail and less noise.

Joel

James,

Of your second series the sparrow is best. Sharp, well exposed, good pose and head angle. The background could cleaned up to make this a really good shot. You could clone out some of the branches especially that curled one and it would make a big improvement.

The goose is well exposed and I like the colors and the foot underwater but don't like thatthe bird is angled away from you.

The last seagull has problems in that the head is overexposed and not in focus. It looks like the tail was the focus point. The gull with wings spread also looks underexposed IMHO.

Just my 2 cents...(worth what ya' pay for e'em)

Joel

This is most popular Wildlife/Nature thread we have during this time so I post this link here.

A lot of good reads with great information to learn.

Have fun!

http://www.bbcwildlifemagazine.com/masterclasses.asp

True Nate. This thread sure has come a long way since it was started!

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.37.26/IMG_5F00_3618a.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

This is most popular Wildlife/Nature thread we have during this time so I post this link here.

A lot of good reads with great information to learn.

Have fun!

http://www.bbcwildlifemagazine.com/masterclasses.asp

Thanks, Nate, That site has some cool articles.