Page 464 of 558 FirstFirst ... 364414454462463464465466474514 ... LastLast
Results 4,631 to 4,640 of 5572

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Rowdy hot tub action

Eastern bluebird

For those bird lovers out there. I have spent part of my winter upping my bird feeder system. I haven't taken many pictures yet, as I still have so many to process, but I was watching the feeders at lunch and saw what looks to be a red bellied woodpecker at my feeder. I have seen a couple of woodpeckers there, but the red-bellied was a first.

So I looked it up, and apparently, red-bellied woodpeckers aren't even supposed to be here in southern NH. I know, it didn't happen unless there are pictures. I'll work on that. But it seems I may have one that is outside their typical range.

Brant.....Red bellies aren't uncommon in our area. The birds are stretching their "typical" range; e.g. I have Carolina wrens and Robins wintering here for the past few winters.
    I have no doubt you saw a RBWP for there is nothing else in our area that resembles one....next time have your camera ready.
    Now just keep your eyes open for a Yellow bellied sapsucker......this is my first winter observing 2 at my feeding stations.

i was recently in Louisiana and those things were everywhere but they wouldnt stay still long enough for a pic. the variety of birds in the south is amazing compared to here in the north. they look a lot like a northern flicker from a distance.
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

Red Bellies are frequent visitors to my set up. I see Northern Flickers and Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers quite often n the 5 acre woods behind the house but I have not been very successful in luring them in for close ups. I have a few Northern Flicker photos but the Sapsuckers have not been willing to come close. What are you feeding them Bill?

Joel...I use a WP mix seed for my silos and suet. I've only seen the YBSS on the suet, whereas the other 4 types of WPs also visit the silos.
    BTW Brant...the Red bellies spend most of their time chowing down on the WP seed mix.
    Last edited by Bill W; 02-05-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Northern Flicker close up

ABE snatching some food

Last edited by Bill W; 02-11-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Nice action....good timing on your part. I like the pano crop too but I might make it just a little taller and a little more space on the right and a little less on the left so the bird is less centered. Very nice image.

Thanks for commenting Joel, but the only issue w/the R/L cropping suggestion is; the right is to the max and if I bring in the left a little more it minimizes the snow puff and centers the ABE's head even more.

Bill