Page 53 of 557 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153553 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Wow, another nice shot! the lighting is beautiful, I also like the dreamy background. Nate, about how much did you cropped?

thanks JJphoto, this is 40% crop

Hi Nate,

That shot is absolutely stunning! Do you mind sharing a little more about this shot?

Time of day, filters, lighting, post processing, or any pointers that you think would be beneficial?

Im intrigued!

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Is it just me (or my browser), or is Nate's shot no longer visible?

It's still visible!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Is it just me (or my browser), or is Nate's shot no longer visible?

As of 4:00PM it's there. Every shot I see of his is awesome. I heard he trips up tripod-sensing IS when he handholds any lens.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Still visible for me, too.

And so it begins, the Legend of Nhut. Able to handhold a 1200mm lens for hours on end without breaking a sweat, all the while shooting at 1/250 with no IS to capture the perfect blur of a beating wing in the fading glow of the Golden Hour. All manner of birds, indigenous and non-, flock to him en masse, hoping to be immortalized with the glamour shot of their dreams, as posted on TDP. Skimmers skim in perfect synchronization. American Avocets mate, then cuddle, all orchestrated by Nhut himself. Behold Sinh Nhut Nguyen, the Bird Whisperer!

Odd. I see it now. Before, I tried with two different browsers on two different computers and didn't see it.

Anyhow, be that as it may. Wonderful shot, Nate. I like the coordination of the color of the bird with that of the background, and the white on the wings and reflection in the water to keep it from being boring.

Worth waiting for []

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.

To Richard: there was no exposure adjustmentdone to this image, I took it during the "golden hour" at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary, the light is magnificient there starting 2 hours before sunset. The only post processing I did to this image was cropping, resizing and sharppening it (the large size on Photo.net needed to have some noise reduction). I try my best everytime to get the exposure at the momment the image was made. Not that I get it right everytime (I actually I get it wrongall the time), but with digital camera you can check the historam, and blinkies and adjust the exposure accordingly.

To Andnowimbroke: I actually turn OFF Image Stabilization when I shoot any in-flight shot, because when it is on IS tries to stabilize my erratic movement and this results in longer time to lock focus and unsharp images. IS is always on when I shoot stationary subject, regardless of how fast my shutter speed is. I like the stabilized viewfinder.

I'm getting a tripod/gimbal combination soon. I like the Gitzo 3541LS, but for gimbal head I'm still deciding between the Wimberly II and the Induro GHB2. Does anybody have any experience with the Induro? The reason I'm considering it because it's about $100 cheaper than the Wimberly.

To HifiGuy: Man you cracked me up []

Here's the larger version of the image http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=11224830&size=lg

"Bird Whisperer," Beautiful Gallery!

I have the other combo that you are considering; namely the Gitzo 3541LS and the Wimberly II Gimbal Head and it's a great combo.

The tripod is Very Solid, light and it folds up fairly small. The 3541LS is a little too tall for me (I'm 59 inches tall) ) while shooting horizontally when the legs are fully extended so I leave the lower legs partially retracted in those situations (a slight pain) , however that extra vertical reach is necessary when shooting upwards, since the viewfinder is lowered as the lens points skyward, therefore you need the extra height during setup. The Wimberly II is very well made, smooth and effortless and highly recommended as well.

I can't comment on the smoothness of the Induro as I've never tried it, however the number markings on the Induro head looks nice. If you have any other questions on my setup, please feel free to contact me privately.

Rich