Page 99 of 557 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Thanks Rich.

Bob, I wish I was close to the Sandhills, looks like some great opportunities.....you should just go ahead and order the 800 mm lens !!

Nate, Nice action shot, I might try toning down the splash just a little, very cool capture.

Joel

This is a group of Terns from my Florida trip in September

1D MKIII + 500mm f/4L + 1.4 TC

manual mode, evaluative metering, center AF point, AI servo mode

1/1250 f/5.6 iso 400

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/5657.343V2065.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

Hi Everyone.

I love this thread. Great pictures everyone.

I hada littletime in Florida a week ago, but here are a few that I think now qualify as "my" best bird photos. All shot with a Canon 7D and the 100-400L:

400 mm, ISO 400, 1/1000th, f/11....this picture represents my first real attempt at post processing. The original was underexposed on the Osprey but perfectly exposed for the clouds. I've adjusted brightness, contracts and "mid-tones"

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-46-64-Birds/Osprey-2.JPG[/img]

360 mm, ISO 400, 1/1000th, f/11

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-46-64-Birds/Pelican-1.JPG[/img]

250 mm, ISO 400, Exp Comp+2/3, 1/1000th, f/10...this may be my entry into Assignment 14....still debating.....

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-46-64-Birds/Bird-1.JPG[/img]

400 mm, ISO 400, 1/1250th, f/13

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-46-64-Birds/Sandpiper-1.JPG[/img]

Thanks for viewing and C&C are welcome....

Kayaker, In general you probably don't need f/11 for birds, you can drop your f-stop a few stops and lower your ISO, remember the name of the game for BIF and action shots is fast shutter speed and low ISO. You can get away with it at the beach, because you have plenty of light, however f/11 is above the DLA for the 7D, so diffraction starts to creep in and remember at longer focal lengths your DOF is deeper.

Great capture on the Osprey, good head angle, nice wing span although it's slightly clipped (it happens). I don't like the cropping, as I feel it's too tight. The head is right in the center of the frame, both horizontally and vertically. Since this was a tight shot, if you can't crop it horizontally, then at least try to remove the birds head from then center of the frame by leaving air and space below the wings in the frame, not only will this remove the bird from being perfectly centered it will also give a sense of height and flight to the bird.

All of the shots, especially the 2nd shot over the water is definitely screaming for a Circular Polarizing filter. Keep in mind that you will lose 1 -1.5 stops with the Circ. Polarizer, which is another good reason to widen your aperture.

I love the 3rd shot, nice capture, great composition, very sharp. The last one is a little soft.

Keep shooting and posting,

Rich

@Chris, I love the contrast of the birds; head, feet and tail against the water and rocks. Nice WB and saturation without being too much.

Very Sharp too!

Rich

Hi Bob, I Love the first Sandhill Crane shot in the single post above.

Regarding the set above: Great action int the first one, watch the horizon though. The 2nd one looks very sharp. The 3rd shot would be my favorite, if it wasn

Joel, you

Nate the Great does it again!

You guys are killing me this 500mm f/4L lens.

Great action capture, excellent sharpness with a nice creamy background. The only way that it could be better was if the bird was flying in the other direction and towards the light. But, I don't know if even you could control that one!

Rich

PS. I love the frame too! What program is that?

@Joel, Great shot of the Terns. I am in the process of collecting pennies on the street corner to fund my 500 or 600, but its still a ways off. Maybe I'll make a bigger cardboard sign. ANy way, seeing yours and nates picks keeps me motivated and focused on the task.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    <label for="ctl00_ctl00_content_content_ctl00_fragment_12 16_ctl01_ctl00_PostForm_ctl10_ctl04_ctl05_QuoteBut ton" class="field-item-header"]Sinh Nhut Nguyen wrote the following post at Sat, Nov 20 2010 10:00 AM: </label><span class="field-item-description"]
    <div id="ctl00_ctl00_content_content_ctl00_fragment_121 6_ctl01_ctl00_PostForm__QuoteText"]

Nice Sandies, Bob. Some suggestions, hope you don't mind... you gotta keep the horizon straight and birds need to fly toward you or at least parrell to you, not away [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]. I need to make a pilgrimage to Bosque Del Apache [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img], any serious bird photographer has to go there at least once inhis or her life right?
    </div>

Thanks Nate, and No, I don't mind the suggestions at all, In fact, I appreciate them ---There is a little bird sanctuary only about 20 miles from my house that typically has more sandies that the bosque does. I think I'll make an early morning run tomorrow and see if I can't apply the lessons you offered. And if you make it down this way, let me know. I can give you a pretty good first timers tour. Great shot of the Osprey, and I like detail inthe water action.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    <div id="ctl00_ctl00_content_content_ctl00_fragment_121 6_ctl01_ctl00_PostForm__QuoteText"]

Hi Bob, I Love the first Sandhill Crane shot in the single post above.

Regarding the set above: Great action int the first one, watch the horizon though. The 2nd one looks very sharp. The 3rd shot would be my favorite, if it wasn't a little soft around the head. #6 and #7 look great too. A really nice set here.

Rich
    </div>

Thanks Rich, I agree with you--Most of these are older shots, but I do need to get out and do a little Micro adjust on my 100-400, and above all, start using my gitzo more often. I think all of these were hand held [:S]

@ Kayaker---These are nice shots and Rich makes somesolid points forimprovement.

Bob

Bob

Rich,

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Hopefully I'll get to practice again soon []

Brant

From my backyard setup using the 1D MKIII and 300mm f/2.8L + 1.4TC + 580 EXII + Better Beamer

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/1004.343V8867.jpg[/img]