Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Brant,

Great shots, my experience with eye AF is similar to yours, can't wait for chances at flight shots.

I think the Harrier has more of a "mask" with light colored areas around it's eyes.

I find some of these raptors difficult to ID .... this one, I think, is a Sharp Shinned Hawk

Hawkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_harrier

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I think the Harrier has more of a "mask" with light colored areas around it's eyes.

I find some of these raptors difficult to ID .... this one, I think, is a Sharp Shinned Hawk
    The alternative I had been considering was a juvenile Cooper's Hawk. Interestingly, even though I can find where Massachusetts is well within the territory for Sharp Shinned Hawks, the Merlin App doesn't list it as an option, which is odd . Looking at this a bit more, Cooper's hawks and Sharp Shinned Hawks are very similar as one of the first things to pop up on a search of either is how to identify one over the other. This comparison references that Sharp Shinned hawks are closer in size to a blue jay and Cooper's hawks more like a crow. What I saw on Saturday was larger, more crow sized, so I am leaning juvenile Cooper's hawk at this point, but honestly, I have seen pictures of female N. Harriers, juvenile Sharp Shinned Hawks, and juvenile Cooper's hawks that are close. So.....