Page 267 of 558 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277317367 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 5571

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Weird or not, the crane and turkey vulture pictures you've posted are both good... and both probably hard to come by to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Weird or not, the crane and turkey vulture pictures you've posted are both good... and both probably hard to come by to be honest.
    Thanks Dave,
    I have to admit that I was very lucky with these shots. They were both within a mile of another on the same day at the San Tomas Aquino Creek Trail. There is a bike trail right next to the creek, and animals are very used to people so I could get close enough for the 55-250. All I had to do was get off my bike and take the camera out, and fortunately I didn't screw up the settings completely in all the excitement.
    And then today I took some pictures of a hawk flying directly over my head - might be too underexposed against the overcast sky, I haven't had the time yet to load into the computer. But if that comes out ok, I fear that after so much beginner's luck there will be a looong dark period with only dull and boring shots

Arnt
    Last edited by ahab1372; 02-21-2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: typos and more typos

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    I'm not a birder but was at the zoo today with my kids and my ef-s 18-55 IS kit lens. It's amazing how nice a shot one can get when the bird allows you to get about a foot away and use a flash...!

Attachment 575

This could definitely use some cropping I'm just not sure where.
    I just have to go outside to see Rainbow Lorikeets, so I don't photograph them! Think I will make an effort in the next few days to get a good shot.

Tony
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

The last few posts bring up perhaps one of the most important factors in bird photography: proximity to your subject.

Of course you sacrifice some dof by being close but you reap the rewards in terms of detail because you get so many more pixels on your subject.

To improve your bird images you will really benefit by figuring out ways to get closer like the previous few posts demonstrate. Well done guys/gals!

A few from this weekend at Deer Island......

Thanks for viewing...Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-22-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Wow, nice Eagle images. I like the last one best. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    I believe this is a sparrow but am unsure of what type. Attachment 542
    Dave, it was a male house sparrow, like the one that visited my garden last weekend.

Male House Sparrow by Andrew Stringer, on Flickr
    1D Mark IV, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1.4x @560mm, f/8, 1/320s, ISO 640

It's similar to the less common tree sparrow, but the tree sparrow has a black patch on its cheeks.

Here's another garden visitor, often mistaken for a female sparrow but the narrower beak tells me that this is a dunnock.

Dunnock by Andrew Stringer, on Flickr
    1D Mark IV, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1.4x @560mm, f/8, 1/250s, ISO 200

Looks like I missed all the excitement with hawks, eagles and falcons visiting some of the members' neighbourhoods lately. In fifteen years here I've only seen a sparrowhawk in my garden once, before I owned a DSLR.

Wow Brant those are sensational good on you.
    Good to see your images back again Andy.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stringer View Post
    Dave, it was a male house sparrow, like the one that visited my garden last weekend.

Male House Sparrow by Andrew Stringer, on Flickr
    1D Mark IV, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1.4x @560mm, f/8, 1/320s, ISO 640

It's similar to the less common tree sparrow, but the tree sparrow has a black patch on its cheeks.

Here's another garden visitor, often mistaken for a female sparrow but the narrower beak tells me that this is a dunnock.

Dunnock by Andrew Stringer, on Flickr
    1D Mark IV, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1.4x @560mm, f/8, 1/250s, ISO 200
    Andrew

The background effect in your photos is very interesting, any idea how its created?

Tony
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    The background effect in your photos is very interesting, any idea how its created?
    It wasn't really created, that's just what you get using that lens with extender at f/8 on a subject 10 metres away with a background about 11-12 metres away, then cropping to nearly 100%. I'm not sure I really like the effect, especially when compared to some of Joel's smooth backgrounds, but I don't have photoshop, nor the time to learn it.

I really need the birds to come closer to isolate them from the background, or wait for the 500mm L II to arrive so I can take these shots at f/4 instead.