Page 492 of 557 FirstFirst ... 392442482490491492493494502542 ... LastLast
Results 4,911 to 4,920 of 5570

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    It looks very good to me.
    Me too --- I think it's fine, at this resolution at least. I personally don't manipulate my photos in this way, mainly because I don't know how, and I don't want to spend the time to learn. The only thing I don't like is when people ask me, "Is that for real, or was that Photoshopped?". So I make it my standard practice to never alter an image, such that my 'personal brand' consists of actual photos in actual environments. Of course I do all sorts of things with exposure and other adjustments in Lightroom, but if the background is lousy, I just toss the photo and keep shooting.

I'm digressing a lot from the original question, and this is probably a discussion for another thread. But anyhow, I think your image is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    I'm digressing a lot from the original question, and this is probably a discussion for another thread. But anyhow, I think your image is great.
    Definitely interesting topic for another thread. However I must admit I would not have noticed if the question was not brought up. It is a great pic - I like it.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    --------------
    Bill

I cannot tell on my screen, even knowing about the switch in background. I agree it is another of the really top-notch shots that appear on this thread.

For the issue of what everyone thinks is acceptable, what about cloning out a small distraction? For example, do you feel it is reasonable for the tip of a branch intruding on the edge of a photo to be cloned out to sky?

Quote Originally Posted by Minerve101 View Post

For the issue of what everyone thinks is acceptable, what about cloning out a small distraction? For example, do you feel it is reasonable for the tip of a branch intruding on the edge of a photo to be cloned out to sky?
    I think it is whatever floats your boat.

Some go to great length making the picture just right.
    I prefer mine to be natural and will only crop to take a distraction out. If a bird is in a bush and a branch is in the way so be it, I would not correct it. Birds live in bushes, it is part of the natural habitat.

To that point, wouldn't this eagle have been better if the background wasn't blown out and a new background put in?
    1C8A4484.jpg by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

But this is how it was taken and for me it is good enough. There is no right or wrong way.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 12-01-2015 at 12:30 AM.

This is the original image. The birds would fly from the the left side of the boat, over the pier, and then I'd try to photograph before they passed me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_11_13_14696_resized.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	2520

Dave

I lean toward the thought that most photography is art. The artist is free to create their vision for a photograph and as long as you disclose the manipulation I am OK with it. I also try to get the best original image possible in my back yard set ups. So I choose an uncluttered perch and place it so the background is out of focus. I am manipulating the situation before the image is taken. I do that because I enjoy the results where the detail and beauty of the subject is projected against a smooth background.

American Goldfinch

7D MKII
    700mm
    ISO 1000
    f/5.6
    1/640
    580 EXII + Better Beamer @ 1/128

Nice image Joel, the perch looks quite different did you catch the gold finch on a new spot?

Dave

Thanks!

I did switch perches for a new look.

American Gold Finch
    60D
    400mm
    ISO 250
    1/1250
    f/5.6

2015_12_05_15175_DPP_upd_8x10 by dthrog00, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing.
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Throgmartin; 12-05-2015 at 09:18 PM.