Page 255 of 557 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305355 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 5570

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Sometimes the obvious answer is right, sometimes not....
    Yep
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto View Post
    if so, Bob you don't need to run if you encounter a mountain lion the next time you go with Joel!
    I know, I even tried to get him to carry a rabbit and the predator call across the field, but he was more interested in birds
    Bob

Bob: is it typically this crowded at this place? I would have expected far fewer big lenses. Is it a place where you have to stay on designated trails or can you hike any where you want?
    To add to what Joel said: Often times, I have been out there and haven't seen anyone else. The areas with large collections of crane and snow geese usually attract quite a few people, especially in early morning or just before sunset. Weekends and holidays are normally busier than weekdays. But even when it is busy, there are many good places to shoot that are completely private. For me, the worst time to go is in November during the "Festival of Cranes". It gets very crowded then, but there are a lot of really good workshops and presentations by well known photographers and sponsors.
    Last edited by bob williams; 01-21-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Bob

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Nick, Your egret is stunning and very unique look for a bird photo--this almost looks like it was shot in a studio. I would love to see your shooting parameters and lighting methods---This really is a good shot.
    I didn't really do anything special for this shot, nature just provided great lighting. The egret was just standing in the light with some really dark shadows behind it which allowed for the black background. Camera setting was 1/500sec, f5.6, iso 320.

Thanks for the compliment.

Everyone guessed which one was me fairly easily in Bob's little quiz, yes I am the one on the right with the Canon rig, camo jack and black head cover. Turn about is fair play so .... see if you can guess who this is? And for bonus points what does he have with him besides camera gear?

And for bonus points what does he have with him besides camera gear?
    I know-I know
    Bob

I hope it is a bird caller, because it looks like he has frightened all the birds and other shooters off.
    Or is this a picture of the early bird/Bob?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    I hope it is a bird caller, because it looks like he has frightened all the birds and other shooters off.
    Or is this a picture of the early bird/Bob?
    If I recall correctly, I was trying to "sneak" up on a kestral in that tree behind me---It was Joel that scared off all of the Birds. Speaking of Joel, I have been practicing some of his PhotoShop Techniques and am starting to get the hang of it---The hardest part is devoloping a discerning eye. Here is what I did on the image below.

Opened in LR3
    Cropped
    adjusted clipped highlights and blacks
    took the image into CS%
    removed a distracting branch using Content Aware Fill----I really like this tool
    Selected the the background using the magic wand
    inverted the selection
    Used refine edge on the bird
    Created an adjustment layer and adjusted levels/curves
    used unsharp mask at 500% and 0.2 pixel (ran three times), but still not sharp enough, so I used smart sharpen once--this might have been an error
    inverted the selection again so the background was selected
    Used Gaussein blur filter and noise reduction filter
    Saved back in LR3
    Posted to zenfolio.

I still think the bird is soft, but that is probably because I started with a soft image that was focused more on the body than the head.

What do you guys think??

Her is another one---almost the same process:

Last edited by bob williams; 01-21-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Add another Photo
    Bob

Very nice, Bob!! Thanks for sharing your technique!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Everyone guessed which one was me fairly easily in Bob's little quiz, yes I am the one on the right with the Canon rig, camo jack and black head cover. Turn about is fair play so .... see if you can guess who this is? And for bonus points what does he have with him besides camera gear?

Bonus point time, is it something to keep away the cold?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur