Page 370 of 557 FirstFirst ... 270320360368369370371372380420470 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,700 of 5570

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Joel:

Nice action shot... and at ISO 1000.

Now that you have had the 1DX for awhile, how do you think it compares to the 1D IV for your type of shooting? Would the Red Tailed Hawk been difficult to get with the 1D IV or would the 1.3 crop factor have helped by not needing the 1.4X converter?

You have been fairly quiet about your new camera... so I was wondering how it is working for you.

Pat
    Thanks Pat,

Just got the camera today around 4pm so I rushed out to a couple spots close to home and got these images....so far, so good. It definitely seems to auto-focus faster than the MKIV and the frame rate was amazing (of course it was jpeg's). I will hopefully get some more chances this weekend to make some valid comparison but after about 2 hours of use it's great

Senior Member francongphotography's Avatar
    Joel: Really nice shots..I can only dream of a 1DX, glad you're enjoying it

I know this isn't any superb BIFs or wild birds..but it's my favourite bird since childhood

Barn Owl
    Canon 5D Mk II, 550D/T2i, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 L USM, 17-40mm f/4 L USM, 24-105mm f/4 L USM, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 320EX speedlite

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franco_ng/

Quote Originally Posted by francongphotography View Post
    Joel: Really nice shots..I can only dream of a 1DX, glad you're enjoying it

I know this isn't any superb BIFs or wild birds..but it's my favourite bird since childhood

Barn Owl
    Thanks, what a gorgeous Owl .... something I have not been able to find although I know they are around my area. Great shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Arnt - Those are great --- and I have to respectfully disagree, it is definitely challenging photography. When you are shooting a white bird in broad daylight, it is quite a trick to get the exposure right. Using centre-weighted metering will often do the job, but you still have to pay close attention to the histogram. With the snowys, I had an easier job when it was overcast, but the sunny days gave the best shots when I occasionally managed to do it right.
    Thanks Jonathan!
    just saw your reply today. On that day, being so close, partial metering and Exposure lock did the trick most of the time because the birds filled the metering area almost completely and did not move too fast. The "Recovery" slider in aperture and flattening the default contrast boost in the RAW tuning did the rest for areas that were still a little blown out, but they were few. The sun was also not at its brightest. On other days, I wish I had a thumb wheel for the AE up or down, especially when a crow comes along all of a sudden after all the whites ...
    Arnt

Congrats Joel on the new camera! Awesome results already, just by "rushing out to a couple spots" for 2h ...
    Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Great Blue Heron
    1DX
    ISO 100
    f/5.6
    1/250

Shot from my truck window. Just received my 1DX late this afternoon and found the Red Tailed Hawk and this Heron in the last hour or so of good light

These were both shot as JPEG's in camera (because I didn't check what mode I was in)
    Congrats on the new camera Joel! I'm sure you'll put it to good use.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Great Blue Heron
    1DX
    ISO 100
    f/5.6
    1/250

Shot from my truck window. Just received my 1DX late this afternoon and found the Red Tailed Hawk and this Heron in the last hour or so of good light

These were both shot as JPEG's in camera (because I didn't check what mode I was in)

Congratulations Joel on the 1Dx.... the images look really nice... guess u just can't stop thinking the 600mm II to replace the 500mm... haha!, can't wait to see more pictures from the 1Dx....

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto View Post
    Congratulations Joel on the 1Dx.... the images look really nice... guess u just can't stop thinking the 600mm II to replace the 500mm... haha!, can't wait to see more pictures from the 1Dx....
    You are correct......I have been thinking that since they first announced the new supertele's

Anyone who is interested.....Amazon has a 1 year no interest deal on the 1dx if you use their credit card and make minimum monthly payments.

The auto focus on the 1DX leaves the MKIV in the dust!

1DX
    500mm f/4L IS USM
    ISO 1000
    f/6.3
    1/2500
    Hand held