Page 334 of 557 FirstFirst ... 234284324332333334335336344384434 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,340 of 5570

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Great shots, Bob. I really like the open beak against the blue background of the second one...

great set Bob! love the second one too, wow, not only the open bills also the dark blue eye.... nice capture!

Woohoo, I can post something other than a Chickadee or Nuthatch!

Osprey in a tree by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

Osprey and child by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

Osprey guarding the nest from insect invaders by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

Frigate Bird

1D4
    500mm
    f/8
    iso 400
    1/640

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Frigate Bird
    Wow---That's a lot of Bird
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Wow---That's a lot of Bird
    It truly is ,,, I would estimate this guy had at least 7 foot wingspan.

This is another pretty big bird...Great Blue Heron, somewhat unusual flight pose with out-stretched neck

1D3
    300mm 2.8L + 1.4 TC
    ISO 800
    f/8
    1/5000

Very nice GBH shot, Joel. Looks like he is going in for he kill. I also like the light on him as well. It really shows off those blue feathers without losing the shadow detail.

On a different note, I tried my new Apollo 32 in softbox out today, But the results were not what I hoped for, In fact I feel like it was my first time shooting hummers. My intent was to try and really light up those wonderful specular highlights the birds have in their wings and feathers, so I loaded up 3 canon 430's inside the softbox (without the diffuser cover) and was hoping the silver lining would make the highlights sparkle---Well, It didn't, in fact, I think it even softened the light more than bare speedlights. I also re-introduced terrible ghosting and shadowing into all the shots even though everything was set to 1/16 and all were canon flashes.

Since this was just a test run, I didn't use any flowers and the only background was my green box. I had the soft box set up directly in front of the camera and just below the image frame angled up slightly. I also had another speedlight above the bird at about 4 ft. It also was set at 1/16. Although I haven't completely given up on the idea of using a silver reflector, first results were very disappointing. I'll give it another try this afternoon before I scrap this idea.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    On a different note, I tried my new Apollo 32 in softbox out today, But the results were not what I hoped for, In fact I feel like it was my first time shooting hummers. My intent was to try and really light up those wonderful specular highlights the birds have in their wings and feathers, so I loaded up 3 canon 430's inside the softbox (without the diffuser cover) and was hoping the silver lining would make the highlights sparkle---Well, It didn't, in fact, I think it even softened the light more than bare speedlights. I also re-introduced terrible ghosting and shadowing into all the shots even though everything was set to 1/16 and all were canon flashes.

Since this was just a test run, I didn't use any flowers and the only background was my green box. I had the soft box set up directly in front of the camera and just below the image frame angled up slightly. I also had another speedlight above the bird at about 4 ft. It also was set at 1/16. Although I haven't completely given up on the idea of using a silver reflector, first results were very disappointing. I'll give it another try this afternoon before I scrap this idea.
    I wonder if bouncing the light, even off silver, softens it enough due to diffusion and then maybe the ghosting appears due to less overall flash power after the light is bounced. Don't know, just theorizing.

A few shore birds. The ID on the Killdeer is correct, but I am less sure of the ID's of the other three. If I have any of them wrong, please let me know.

Pectoral Sandpiper -7586 by westmichigan, on Flickr

Kill Deer-7509 by westmichigan, on Flickr

Solitary Sandpiper -7768 by westmichigan, on Flickr

Greater Yellow Legs -7551 by westmichigan, on Flickr
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Beautiful Pat.....the last one is my fav!