Page 243 of 558 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253293343 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,430 of 5571

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

These are shots I got today just before sunset.....lots of birds feeding now, especially Titmouse, Chickadee, Sparrows, Woodpeckers, Finches and Doves.

Nice job, Joel. You still using the 1D Mk.III and 300/2.8 for these shots?

Beautiful shots, Joel!

Yesterday, I went "duck hunting" and saw two different types on Lake Michigan that I never saw in this area before ..

Hooded Merganser by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

Northern Pintail (Sprig) by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

Northern Pintail (Sprig) by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

and then there were the common mallards ...

IMG_5625 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

IMG_5675 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    Great Pintail shots, I think they are my favorite looking duck...beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1 View Post
    Nice job, Joel. You still using the 1D Mk.III and 300/2.8 for these shots?
    Thanks.....still using the 1D3 but recently acquired a used 500mm f4/L and I am trying to learn how to use it....these last few were shot with the 500.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Beautiful shots, Joel!

Yesterday, I went "duck hunting" and saw two different types on Lake Michigan that I never saw in this area before ..

MG_5675 by Denise Trocio, on Flickr
    Fabulous duck images Denise!!! Especially like the Hooded Merganser.....I have seen these from a distance here in Ky. but have not been close enough to push the shutter, really nice images, congrats!

Thank you, Joel!

Here is one I caught of Mr. Cardinal this morning. I had to blur the background due to the lines of my wooden fence but at least he is finally going to the perch I set up! Is there a more "natural" way I should have handled this? I am surrounded by fence!

Let me know if there is anything I should do differently ...he was in part sun, part shade due to the time of day.

Mr. Cardinal by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Thank you, Joel!

Here is one I caught of Mr. Cardinal this morning. I had to blur the background due to the lines of my wooden fence but at least he is finally going to the perch I set up! Is there a more "natural" way I should have handled this? I am surrounded by fence!

Let me know if there is anything I should do differently ...he was in part sun, part shade due to the time of day.

Mr. Cardinal by Denise Trocio, on Flickr

You did well blurring out the fence, short of putting up a background that's probably the best you can do. Try to maximize the distance from the bird to the fence so the natural bokeh from your lens will help. The only other thing that would be more natural is to use a more natural perch. A better sun angle will help the IQ but I find it difficult when the sun is high and bright. It's just too contrasty to get the best results. Overall you are doing great, those last duck images are impressive.

More tests with my new shiny 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II. I absolutely love it, the detail and sharpness I can get is simply amazing. I might have overdone the sharpening a little for these during post processing though..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8761.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	236 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8776.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	237 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8790.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	238 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8806.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	239

Last year at this time of December there was over two feet of snow on the grass field and the sea was frozen so it's a little weird to be seeing all the ducks and geese just strolling happily around now. I'm glad of the warm sunny day though, excellent weather to test the new lens

EDIT: BTW does the site do something to the color management of the photos? They look too green and muddled now after upload versus the ones on my computer.

EDIT2: The error was in my workflow, didn't convert them to sRGB properly. Correct images can be seen in my blog: http://qwrad.wordpress.com/2011/12/1...warm-december/
    Last edited by qwRad; 12-13-2011 at 04:33 PM.

These 2 shots were from the back yard this evening, very nice day here, about 60 degrees and light clouds, made for good diffused light

1D3
    500mm
    ISO 1600
    f/5.0
    1/800