Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I could never get that clarity with my 40D at ISO 1600. In fact, I'd cringe everytime I had to go to ISO 800. Well done

Quote Originally Posted by Don Burkett View Post
    I could never get that clarity with my 40D at ISO 1600. In fact, I'd cringe everytime I had to go to ISO 800. Well done
    Thanks Steve, Denise and Don....

this arrangement is usable only for birds that are relatively still....without autofocus using live view is almost impossible with a littel bird jumping around quickly.

I am going to try the same lens combo with my 1D3, it will autofocus but I expect it to be very slow doing it. Also the percieved "reach" won't be as great since it is 1.3 crop factor.

Hopefully I can try it this week. Mostly I wanted to know if I could get adequate sharpness using the 2X TC

This was a sharpness test using 1D3 + 500mm + 2x TC II at ISO 1600 from about 15 feet away, I had trouble keeping the whole bird in the frame but it seems at least my version of the 2X TCII is sharp enough to produce good images. The autofocus however is painfully slow so little hyperactive birds are not easy.