Page 554 of 557 FirstFirst ... 54454504544552553554555556 ... LastLast
Results 5,531 to 5,540 of 5569

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    .... but most of the time I checked it was far from the road.
    Thanks Joel.

That is what is nice about the two state parks I have been seeing them. The owls are mostly in the dunes leading to the beach. Given that there are various paths to the beach about every 50 to 100 yds, it makes it fairly easy to get a shot. That is until they decide to head out to the flats where there are not trails. I have plenty of images of little white dots in the distance. But 2 of 3 trips this year I was lucky to find them in the dunes or long the breakwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Got back to taking a few pictures at my feeder last week. I saw an immature rose-breasted grosbeak, which, according to the Merlin App, are not too common for New Hampshire. Which, I've probably only seen them at my feeder 4-5 times, so that sounds about right.

537A4407 by kayaker72, on Flickr

537A4454 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing....Brant
    I really like what you did with these two. The lighting is soft. No harsh shadows. The cardinal is perfectly posed, I like the vignette. I like it makes very good eye contact and the leading lines are nice.

Also the grossbeak very well done, I like the eye contact and the pose a lot. The lighting again is very soft and nice. I like the colors on both, definitely a fan of vibrant colors in general.

Both have focus and center your attention to the bird very well. Me likey.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 03-17-2022 at 09:57 PM.

A couple from my recent trip to Manitoba:

Northern Hawk Owl
    To get a clear angle I had to stomp about 50 metres through waist-high snow, with my camera and tripod over my shoulder. Fortunately these owls rarely fly away.

Sharp-Tailed Grouse (male)
    In the spring, these birds gather in open areas and vie for top mating status with their agressive dance moves. Very cool to watch!

It was freakishly cold this particular morning, which made things extra fun. We had to sit in the car to avoid spooking the birds away, so to prevent heat shimmering we of course shut off the car and opened all the windows. I also removed the lens hood, because I heard that you can get distortion from the heat coming off the lens when you have a hood on. Anyhow based on the results it worked quite well, so I guess it was worth a bit of suffering!

Just back from a vacation to Costa Rica. Originally planned for March 2020 and, well, something came up. But much of the trip had been paid for in 2019, so getting to go was great for a number of reasons.

Here are a few of the Resplendent Quetzal on our first morning...

537A8366 by kayaker72, on Flickr

537A9019 by kayaker72, on Flickr

537A8800 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing...
    Brant

Beautiful .... Costa Rica has been my list for a few years too.

Did you go with a tour company or just on your own? (if I may ask)

Hi Joel,

It was not an organized tour, but after identifying the location, I used the hotel to find a local guide for the Quetzals. This was in San Gerardo de Dota and we stayed at Hotel Savegre. The first time I saw a Quetzal was in Monteverde. I remember when there they talked about how the Quetzal populations were actually a bit higher in the Mtns south of San Jose and I targeted San Gerardo de Dota as it is right next to Quetzal National Park (I thought that was a good sign). While I did not learn a ton, it seems like the National park is more of a summer/fall location for the birds, but they come down into the valleys (still at 7,000-9,000 ft) to nest from December-April. So that is where we found them.

If I were to go back to the area, one of the photo guides I ended up meeting was Marco, his sister & girlfriend own Lauraceas Lodge, which had been one of the other locations I considered. I would probably look at it a bit harder at it.

The other reason I picked San Gerardo de Dota was Batsu. They have converted part of an old orchard into photo blinds. Pictures are coming, but it was excellent. Marino was my guide for the Quetzals, his son (Felipe) owns Batsu and the daughter-in-law owns and excellent nearby restuarant (Alma de Arbol).

Monteverde is much more developed than San Gerardo de Dota. Not even really comparable. But, I will say, we hiked a long while to see a Quetzal in Monteverde. In San Gerardo de Dota, they had a number of spots that they could drive up too. So, what I recall being told may be true.

A few more hummingbird photos from me. These were taken at Batsu Gardens in San Gerardo de Dota:

537A9453 by kayaker72, on Flickr

537A9651 by kayaker72, on Flickr

537A9444 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Click through for my best guesses (using Merlin app).

Thanks for viewing...Brant

I am a little over half way through the images from Batsu Gardens in Costa Rica.....

A few more that I thought I'd share:

Silver-Throated Tanager

537A9082 by kayaker72, on Flickr

I like this shot just because the Acorn WP is sticking out its tongue (easier to see clicking through to Flickr and zooming in):

537A9810 by kayaker72, on Flickr

This Scintillant HB is in a carefully balancing act both on the flower and with the bee:

537A9869 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing...Brant

Some recent backyard visitors

Great Crested Flycatcher

Female Summer Tanager

Male American Goldfinch

Female Northern Cardinal
    r

Female Pileated Woodpecker

A few more.....