Page 48 of 557 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148548 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade
    Here is a shot of my backyard bird setup as you requested.......

Holy moly! That's one serious set-up! Well I must honestly say that I don't see myself doing that, but the results are really terrific, so please keep going and shoot some more amazing photos for us to view []

Jan

My best GBH in flight so far with my new 400mm5.6, thanks for viewing.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.54/DPP_5F00_00017.JPG[/img]

JJ

Nice capture of a bird in flight. That is something which is not easy with wild birds who are actually earning a living in their natural environment instead of a man made environment.

Congratulations!!!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Sheiky,

I wouldn't consider my set up to be all that serious, the blind was very affordable (about $70 at WalMArt) and feeders are not too expensive either.....minimal effort involved really.

JJ

I like the GBH in flight, good focus and exposure, would only wish for the bird flying on an angle toward you as to get better head angle and eye contact

Joel

PS I attached another backyard visitor.....can you identify him?[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/_5F00_MG_5F00_6358.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade

Sheiky,

I wouldn't consider my set up to be all that serious, the blind was very affordable (about $70 at WalMArt) and feeders are not too expensive either.....minimal effort involved really.

I didn't mean serious in that way. I meant serious dedication to your hobby. At least it looks to me that your backyard is pretty much dedicated for bird-photography, and to be honest I like that a lot! One question: do you change branches etc often so that you don't get too much photos of birds on the same tree/branch?

I like what I see [Y]

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    My best GBH in flight so far with my new 400mm5.6, thanks for viewing.

Great capture! Love the lighting and contrast.

Jan
    </div>

Sheiky,

My back yard is quite small as you can see.....the trees behind the house cover about 2-3 acres and slope down to a small creek....so lots of woodland birds and lots of dead branches. I do change branches frequently and I look around for those that have "character".

We have a deck on the back of the house and a patio underneath so we use those for outdoor activities and the yard is left for the birds! (and the squirrels, racoons, possums, deer etc etc...)

I do tend to take my hobbies to the extreme according to my spouse, so she agrees with your assessment!

Thanks for the kind words, you should get a blind and a feeder...it's great fun at home.

Joel

It looks like a male Downy to me. However it could be a male Hairy, the marking on both are very similar and without scale it is hard to judge it's size. Hairy are about 25 to 33% larger than Downy's. Female of both species are usually larger than their male counterparts.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Iguide...you're on track

The clue is to look at the length of the beak in relationship to the size of the head

Joel

JJphoto,

that photo rocks!! Well done!

Hi Joel:

In that case it is a male Hairy.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>