Page 434 of 557 FirstFirst ... 334384424432433434435436444484534 ... LastLast
Results 4,331 to 4,340 of 5570

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Rose Breasted Grosbeak...I only get to see these in the first week of May on their way north

1DX
    700mm
    ISO 1600
    f/5.6
    1/200

Nice capture Joel....I have 3 males here, but they won't give me a decent natural perch shot. I saw my first female today.

Beautiful Grosbeak Joel, good perch and background!

Green Heron in Flight

Thanks for viewing and commenting

Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen View Post
    Beautiful Grosbeak Joel, good perch and background!
    Green Heron in Flight
    Thanks for viewing and commenting
    Nate
    Gorgeous. I like the soft light and you nailed the focus too!

Pileated WP in my back yard set up

1D MKIV
    500mm
    ISO 1600
    f/5.6
    1/1250
    No flash

Eastern Blue Bird Female

1D MKIV
    500mm
    ISO 1000
    f/5.6
    1/125

Red Bellied WP

1DX
    700mm
    ISO 3200
    f/5.6
    1/1250

Joel:

First, I would like to thank you for always including you camera, lens, and settings data when you post.

I was noticing you still switch a lot between your 1D X and 1D IV. If you use the 1D X you typically use a 1.4X (forced to f/5.6) and the ISO is bumped a stop to a one and a half stops presumably to make up for the loss of light with the one stop loss with the 1.4X. With the 1D IV you get the reach without the tel extender so you do not loose the aperture value, but you still stop down to f/5.6 typically. So I was wondering:

• What drives you to pick up one camera over another? Since you use the same aperture value, is it the ambient light values that drive your decision (better ISO performance on the 1D X)?
    • Is the IQ actually better with the 1D IV w/o the Tele Extender compared to the 1D X w/ Tel Extender
    • Why don't you use f/4 with your 1D IV? Is it strictly DOF... but the DOF calculator does not show a huge difference between f/4 (1D IV @500mm) and f/5.6 (1D X @ 720mm... no 700mm in the DOF Calculator and I was to lazy to do the math myself) at 10 ft stand off.

I hope you do not mind the sill questions. But I was curious why you use one over the other.

Disclaimer: The numbers I reference above are just from recent post... so I may have over simplified your thought processes - If I did, then I am sorry.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Joel:

First, I would like to thank you for always including you camera, lens, and settings data when you post..................

I hope you do not mind the sill questions. But I was curious why you use one over the other.

Disclaimer: The numbers I reference above are just from recent post... so I may have over simplified your thought processes - If I did, then I am sorry.

Pat
    No problem Pat. I include the EXIF because I myself find it helpful when others do the same.

I have been switching back and forth a lot lately mostly because of different sized birds....with the MKIV I can get more pixels on the subject which is helpful for small birds. (finches, sparrows, wrens etc) When the bigger species come in, however, I cannot always get the bird framed correctly with the MKIV without quickly moving back a few feet which doesn't work too well usually....I did pull it off with my last Pileated WP shot because the bird was calling as it came in so I had time to slide back enough. Since I never really know what is going to show up I end up having the "wrong" camera quite often (i.e. I am just goofing around most of the time)

With both cameras my main goal is to get as much shutter speed as possible because this gives me the best chance of a sharp image. (as you know birds rarely sit still) In addition, my 500mm is sharper when stopped down slightly and also I want the entire bird in focus if possible so I don't shoot much at f/4. As for ISO, I use whatever is needed to give me shutter speed. My back yard is mostly shaded so I usually have to go to at least 1600 and frequently will add fill flash too. If I get a light overcast day with diffused, relatively bright light sometimes I can go lower. I mainly want to avoid underexposure of the subject regardless of BG.

The distance in my set up seems to be just about right for 700mm on the 1DX but with the MKIV 700mm can be too much with the larger birds so I shoot with the bare lens and stop down a little for DOF and sharpness. Using the 1.4 TC II on either camera doesn't degrade the image significantly if I have good light.

I just switch cameras in anticipation of what birds may show up which is not too predictable! I have never calculated a DOF....I just shoot and see what works.

There are some differences in the cameras....with 1DX I seem to always need to be adding + EC and not so much with the MKIV, not sure why. I think I like the 1DX images overall a little better and I have thought of selling the MKIV but it's depreciated so much I will probably just keep it.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 05-11-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Ruby-throated HB, without the ruby.