Page 30 of 557 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130530 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Design

Well if you look at the ISO you can deduce that I'm already running low on light (max aperture in this configuration btw), and have you ever tried to photograph one inch in a windy tree @ 420mm? I was lucky to get this much and participated in the show & tell section as I was not seeking a critique anyway. No hard feelings, just what is. -Shea
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I'll try to refrain next time, sorry shea.

~Jordan
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Hi,

Been away for a while, playing with a Canon EF28-135 is usm lens that I reciently recieved in the mail, the same day I managed to capture this duck in the local park.The image has been cropped to about half size.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.11/7d_2300_23_2300_3c.jpg[/img]

Very cool shot! And to get it on your new lens day just rocks. -S

Hi Shea,

Thanks, Yea real lucky the thing nearly took my head off as it flew past, Same place, same day, same camera, same lens, This one just sat and watched all the action.

Noticed there have been some beautiful bird pickies posted since I've been away, have to catch up on the threads.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.11/7d_2300_23_2300_4c.jpg[/img]

Long-billed Curlew

7D + 500 f/4L IS - f/4, 1/1600, ISO 200, manual exposure, handheld

This is one of my very first images made with my 7D. Ordered it from B&amp;H on Monday and got it yesterday at 4:30pm. There was not much time to shoot and I needed to charge the batteries anyways. So what would I do in the mean time, reading the manual of course []. Today I spent the entire day getting used to the new camera and here is my observation of the 7D after a short period of time with it.
    1. The files are huge, the camera captures a lot of details, since the files are so large, when viewed at 100% it does give the impressionthat the image is soft,move back half a foot or so and it will get sharper []
    2. The 8fps speed is awesome!
    3. So far AI Servo AF isfast (faster than my 40D)consistent and accurate. The image above I used AF Point Expansion. I find that it's easier to keep the birdlock infocus when using the center and the adjecent points, instead of the center point alone. For everything else I use single point.
    4. The high resolution LCD screen is so nice that it can be very misleading, you need to zoom all the way in to see if the image is sharp or not, otherwise everything is nice and sharp.
    5. Noise wise, it's similar to my 40D, BUT considering the 40D's sensor is only 10 mpx, the 7D's noise perfomance to me is very impressive for an 18 mpxAPS-Ccensor.
    6. Beside spending $1800 for this new camera it looks like I need to spend more for a new computer, the files are so large that it's a paint in the @ss to process the RAW files
    7. Build quality is excellent, the camera feels very solid in your hand.
    8. The BG-E7 is very nice too, I think it's the best battery grip that canon has made so far for its non 1D series cameras. I agree with Bryant that the shutter releasebutton on the grip is much more sensitive than the one on the camera.
    9. Zooming in/out is a bit slower than my 40D (at least it seems like it) maybe because of the large files or the high resolution LCD?
    10. I think my 7D overexposes about 1/3 to 1/2 of a stop compares to my 40D, 99% of my images are much brighter. I constantly looking for blinkies, but there wasn't any so I didn't adjust my exposure. Gotta watch that from now on.

Over All the 7D is an awesome machine, I'm liking mine very much.

Thanks for viewing the image, comments and critiques are welcome. More 7D images to come in the near future.

You can view the larger image here http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=10795197&amp;size=lg

Nate,

Congrats Nate!

I got my 7D yesterday too. Since it takes the same battery as my 5dII I was set right out of the box, except for the weather here the last two days. I found the video tutorials that Canon posted very insightful.

Just playing around shooting on the porch, I did notice the images aren't as sharp as I'd hoped. But there is something striking about the images though. The AF is sweet even though I haven't really put it to the test yet but the versatility is impressive.

The thing I was blown away with, especially after shooting with the 5DII for a year and half is the build quality. This thing feels like a tank. The thing I noticed right away was the battery and CF doors. The fit tight and are spring loaded. My 5DII feels so junky in these two areas.

I'll actually get to put it to the test shooting peewee football and an air show this weekend. I'm really excited to have the 7D for the air show.

Congrats Nate []

It seems that everyone get their new 7D's - I want one too! [:P]

Congrats Nate!

Sounds like a lot of 7D experience is coming our way between you and Keith. Can't wait to see more results.

By the way, Keith I would love to see some of your air show shots when you have time. My bro is going to oshkosh this summer and I might join him so it would be nice to see what compositions will work well for that scene. Thanks.

Also love all the bird shots here. They are really cool and good. Keep it up.

Samuel

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.26/evolution.jpg[/img]

canon 40D canon 70-300m IS plus 2x extender f 5,6 iso 100 manual focus monopod

<span id="result_box" class="short_text"]<span closure_hashcode_ie5222="66" style="background-color: #ebeff9;" title="Great shot there Andrian!"]<span style="font-size: small;"]Great shot acolo Andrian! <span style="font-size: small;"]<span closure_hashcode_ie5222="69" title="Keep up the good work."]Tine-te de lucru bun.

<span closure_hashcode_ie5222="80" style="background-color: #fff;" title="Ioan."]Ioan.