Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: What prime to Buy on Budget

  1. #1

    What prime to Buy on Budget



    Hey Guys, Im looking for an Used Prime lens, im low on budget, hello it's Christmas, lol, I was looking into the 50mm 1.8 since the reviews on it's sharpness are off the charts, but i can't find anything below $90, i was wondering if it's a good idea to spend that money on a 50 1.8 or save a bit more and get something better? Im in miami FL, if anyone has anything up for sale as a PRIME Good Lens, on the Low aperture numbers, i'll be glad to talk about them. Again no 24-70, im not in that budget, lol.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    105

    Re: What prime to Buy on Budget



    The 50mm f/1.8 may look and feel a bit like a toy lens, but the image quality is outstanding. Probably the best image quality/price ratio you will find anywhere. Even though I have the better built and somewhat better (bokeh in particular) 50mm f/1.4, I still use the f/1.8 from time to time when I want a lightweight, inconspicuous lens without compromising image quality.


    Other than that, I believe you'll have to spend several hundred dollars to get a worthwhile prime.

  3. #3

    Re: What prime to Buy on Budget



    bhphotovideo has the nifty fifty for 89 and some odd cents. It would be hard pressed to find any other prime lens other then that which is inexpensive yet picture quality doesnt suffer. The only two primes I own are the 50 1.8 and the 85 1.2, and for low light I have both available on two different bodies, and would us the 50 1.8 without hesitation if I needed something wider then the 85.


    thanks


    joel

  4. #4
    Administrator Sean Setters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,341

    Re: What prime to Buy on Budget



    Quote Originally Posted by trosky
    Again no 24-70, im not in that budget, lol.

    If you don't mind me asking, what price range are we looking at? That might help us with the recommendations...

  5. #5
    Senior Member Maleko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    226

    Re: What prime to Buy on Budget



    Quote Originally Posted by trosky


    i can't find anything below $90, i was wondering if it's a good idea to spend that money on a 50 1.8


    Quote Originally Posted by musickna


    The 50mm f/1.8 may look and feel a bit like a toy lens, but the image quality is outstanding.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

    This lens is awesome, for the price it truely shines. I have used it a lot already for gigs and other events when i dont want to use a flash, but need a fast lens.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,156

    Re: What prime to Buy on Budget



    Quote Originally Posted by trosky


    Hey Guys, Im looking for an Used Prime lens, im low on budget, hello it's Christmas, lol, I was looking into the 50mm 1.8 since the reviews on it's sharpness are off the charts, but i can't find anything below $90, i was wondering if it's a good idea to spend that money on a 50 1.8 or save a bit more and get something better? Im in miami FL, if anyone has anything up for sale as a PRIME Good Lens, on the Low aperture numbers, i'll be glad to talk about them. Again no 24-70, im not in that budget, lol.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>


    What focal length do you need? The worst lens to buy is the wrong lens for you.


    I'd highly recommend flipping the whole process around: what lens do you want/need? Once you figure that out, save up for it and buy it when you're ready.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

  7. #7

    Re: What prime to Buy on Budget



    For the price the 50mm f/1.8 is the best by far. A little slow on focusing but delivers. As stated they are cheap and plastic hence the very low price tag. It is on the verge of being a 'toy' lens and would be if it did not deliver such exceptional shots. If you take care of the 50mm f/1.8 it will last... treat it poorly or bump it just right and the 'toy' quality surfaces and it falls apart. Despite all this I love my 50mm f/1.8 and have taken some truly amazing photo's that have yet to be matched.


    These are some of the reasons that used 50mm f/1.8 are not overly common - they are cheap to begin with, they can break easy, the owners love them.


    The big question is 50mm what you need? Price wise you will not get a cheaper prime. I doubt you will find any other prime, used or not, under $90.









  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,956

    Re: What prime to Buy on Budget



    Quote Originally Posted by trosky
    good idea to spend that money on a 50 1.8 or save a bit more and get something better?

    Go for the $90 50mm f/1.8. No better value anywhere.

  9. #9

    Re: What prime to Buy on Budget



    so i went for the 50mm 1.8. Given the fact that i have the 70-200 2.8 IS, i was missing alot of short distance stuff. I haven' really put it to use, except a few pictures, but overall i see why everyone loves the lens. My bag consist of Rebel T1i, 18-55 3.5, 50 1.8, 70-200 2.8 is. I think for now im set when it comes to lens and body. hopefully as my experience grows and the budget too, i'll jump into a full frame body and the 24-70 2.8 and the 100macro. I think I'll b set with gear what do you think?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    505

    Re: What prime to Buy on Budget



    Quote Originally Posted by trosky
    i'll jump into a full frame body and the 24-70 2.8 and the 100macro. I think I'll b set with gear what do you think?

    It never ends.............A guy named Lance from Perth (a Pentaxian) coined the phrase LBA ( Lens Buying Addiction)....


    Only an empty wallet, bank account, and maxed out credit can stop it.


    I've had LBA since I bought my first DSLR....[]


    Enjoy that nifty fifty and let us know how it works out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •