Thread: Why doesn't Canon (or Nikon) make their flashes radio-wireless-communicable?

Why doesn't Canon (or Nikon) make their flashes radio-wireless-communicable?

I originally thought RadioPopper JrX can support ETTL but I now realize it's manual and that's why it's affordable.

I think I still like RP PX the best. But the requirement of having
    a master on camera is making the setup not convenient and heavy.

PocketWizard's FlexTT5 seems to have issue on interference.

So everything nails down to the ultimate question:

Why doesn't Canon make their flashes radio-wireless-communicable?

I assume Nikon's flashes also need to "see" each other in order to communicate wirelessly? No?

Please educate me!

Re: Why doesn't Canon (or Nikon) make their flashes radio-wireless-communicable?

The requirements for such radio control vary quite a lot across different countries. The manufacturers would have to make a lot of versions of their cameras, if they would use that kind of control.

Easier to place the necessary variations inan accessory.

Re: Why doesn't Canon (or Nikon) make their flashes radio-wireless-communicable?

Quote Originally Posted by apersson850
    Easier to place the necessary variations inan accessory.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    <span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]Then why don't they make those accessories? Not within their core-competencies? You would think that Canon or Nikon could make a better E-TTL or i-TTL radio transmitter than either RadioPopper or Pocket Wizard right?<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"]<o></o>

Different strokes for different folks, and potentially undermines their business goals. Their flash triggering system is made to trigger their own brand of flash - PW can trigger (albeit in manual mode for most off-brand light sources) other lights - monolights, pack/head lights, AA-powered flashes, even Nikon flashes by Canon cameras and vice versa. Likewise, the various aftermarket systems can trigger a camera, and none of the camera manufacturers want to mess with that.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.