Thread: First time using lightbox

First time using lightbox

I got bored today so headed over to my local craft store to pick up some foamboard and posterboard to make a homemade lightbox. For the most part I am pleased with the results, but on one of them the shadows really annoy me. I tried moving the lights around but no use. Any suggestions? Also, how can I get the background to appear more white? I used a white piece of poster board and adjusted the white balance as best I could.

I used four lights with clamps to the edges of the box for lighting

I like the first one. Its the second I'm not too pleased with.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.66/CRW_5F00_2030.jpg[/img]

Taken with: Canon 300D 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS @ 135mm f/8 ISO100 1/15s Handheld

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.66/CRW_5F00_2029.jpg[/img]

Taken with: Canon 300D 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS @ 28mm f/8 ISO100 1/15s Handheld

Re: First time using lightbox

In order to get the background more white you need more light or more exposure. Try using a tripod. You can even make one light do the work of many. With a small aperture and a long shutter speed, you could actually move one of the lights around so that it covers more area.

However, the best results will come when you are lighting the background separately from the object. The way you have it here, any shadows created by the object are cast onto the background. If you put some separation between the object and background, you'll be able to light the two somewhat independently of one another and get results that are closer to what you want.

Re: First time using lightbox

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

In order to get the background more white you need more light or more exposure. Try using a tripod. You can even make one light do the work of many. With a small aperture and a long shutter speed, you could actually move one of the lights around so that it covers more area.

However, the best results will come when you are lighting the background separately from the object. The way you have it here, any shadows created by the object are cast onto the background. If you put some separation between the object and background, you'll be able to light the two somewhat independently of one another and get results that are closer to what you want.

Well for those two shots I was taking a top-down shot so a tripod was impossible. The following two were taken head-on with a tripod. The second one turned out about right. But I couldnt get the one with the lens to turn out properly. I couldnt get the background white without overexposing the lens.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.66/IMG_5F00_0001_5F00_1.jpg[/img]

50D 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS @ 35mm f/13 ISO100 1/20s

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.66/IMG_5F00_0002.jpg[/img]

50D 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS @ 50mm f/25 ISO100 0.4000s